Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a Detach Kit for the Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ordered a Detach Kit for the Saddlebags

Ok, I just took a chance and ordered a set of cycle visions barebacks for my 04 fatboy with detach sissybar.

http://www.cyclevisions.com/barebacks.html

You'll see in my gallery, I've got the smaller hard leather H-D bags.. I'm not really crazy about their size (does matter with saddlebags) but got a silly ebay deal on them and they've got a really nice flip up locking lid that stays open. If they were larger they'd be absolutely awesome..

Anyway.. I felt like taking a risk, so I'm going to try out this "Barebacks" product with my detach sissy bar and I'll try to get some good high rez pics. They look like a fairly nice design.

If I were to make a guess about any weakness with them, I'd say it would be the lack of a lower support.. So with smaller bags, that might not be an issue. They may however be much more robust than they appear... We shall see, and I shall post when I get them on.

Anyone have any experience with them, would love to hear your feedback.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Baalz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ordered a Detach Kit for the Saddlebags

I installed the kit on my Heritage with detachable sissy bar. They set the bags out from fender about another inch. Which in my case worked out great since i changed my turn signal bar to the bullet style that comes on deluxes. I can remove bags in 10 seconds.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Baalz

I installed the kit on my Heritage with detachable sissy bar. They set the bags out from fender about another inch. Which in my case worked out great since i changed my turn signal bar to the bullet style that comes on deluxes. I can remove bags in 10 seconds.
That's what I like to hear. The bags to me are to me a necessary evil, so I'll like the ability to go with or without, and take them off to wash the bike. I'll guess with my detach sissybar they'll put the bags out a bit, about as much as the other products (ghost or easybrackets).. But since these bags aren't flat and have the built in base (H-D bags), those other products just weren't an option. Looks like the barebacks are a nice cleanlooking product.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
capnjim01
Advanced

Babs, I am looking for saddlebags for an 06 Fat Boy. I also have the Harley detatchable sissy bar. Let us know how this works out. I was trying to find bags I didn't need brackets for but everything I looked at hung to low or hit the tire. thanks capnjim01

Old 04-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

I certainly will. Check out my gallery.. If you dig mine, we can work something out. Hard leather H-D bags with locks. PM or email me if interested.. Since I have lower aftermarket pipes, I'm considering something larger.. and more expensive I'm sure.. [:'(]

Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Viper
Cruiser

Babs,

I am also interested in how these work, as I have an 06 Fatboy that is in need of some detachable bags to go with my detachable sissy bar. What do you want for your bags? Do you know the approximate dimensions? You can PM me. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Dr. Fatboy
Advanced

I got a set of the softail leather saddlebags "Fat Boy Styling" 90320-00c and love the looks of them. Regarding the quick detach mounts, I read the posts on this site and others, looked at web sites, and then thought about things for awhile before making a decision. I think I stewed about things for about a month before making a decision. I finally went with the Barebacks. I also have a detachable sissy bar. I have been very happy with the Barebacks so far. I also went a little bit farther as far as mounting options and put male mounts on the wall to hang the bags on. I used lag screws and ground down the hex head to round (grinder and cordless drill worked great) and then dipped the end in liquid rubber. Then measured the mounts, used a level, and presto. The bags sit about an inch away from the wall when not on the bike. Turned out better then I would have guessed. I've also talked with Cyclevisions about coming up with some longer chrome caps which would work with the detachable sissy bar too. I was told that this was a good idea and that they would be looking into it further.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

What a great idea! Holy cow.. That's terrific. I could even hang 'em on the pegboard on these lag screws in the basement/garage.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Baalz
Advanced

I have the chrome caps and they work with my detachable sissy bar. All they do is cover up the male mounting head, leaving the spool for the sissybar mounts open

Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

I also read somewhere on here I think that someone polished the male ends up to a nice shine... Oh I think their manual said you can do that but just not to chrome them as the chrome will crack.

Quick Reply: Ordered a Detach Kit for the Saddlebags