Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
BarryN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Firing

I posted this in another thread topic but only one person replied so I thought that maybe I might get more feed back here.

Have a 07 deluxe that I put V&H long shots on w/AC and SERT and had dyno. It is now popping with I decel and seems to be getting worse. I did check the intake and the bolts were a little loose but still does the same thing. I know other have put V&H on there scoots but not SERT and did the fuel pack and no dyno and theres dont pop.

Can a dyno jump timing or do you think it might be something else? It is starting to drive me crazy when I down shift or even let of the throttle and it poops.

Any ideas???

THANKS

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about exhaust gaskets? Popping on decel with fuel injection was common with longshots.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

With the SERT your Dyno guy should be able to get rid of the popping on decel. Mine did the same thing, drove me nuts. I have the USB PC III, and with the help of another member here (Faction95) we added a little fuel to the 0% columns on both cylinders from 1200 t0 4000 RPM'S. That cured my popping on decel as the machine was running to lean at 0% throttle.
Now it just gurgels on decel sometimes, but runs strong, pulls hard.
So I would guess your bike is lean at 0% Throttle.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
squale147
Cruiser

pc3s are great .. one of the bst out there

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

Did mine with the Fuelpak. I get popping only when I don't roll off the throttle completely. Try letting someone else ride it and see if it does the same for them. Or just take it back in and see if they can dyno it again and fix it.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
BarryN
Tourer

I will take it back to see if they will re-dyno but sure hate to may another 3 bills.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryN
I will take it back to see if they will re-dyno but sure hate to may another 3 bills.
How long has it been since you dynoed it? Your dyno guy should do some minor adjustments for free since he didn't do it right the first time.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

Had rush pipes with sert, when I bought the bike, and it had popping on decel in 3-4 gear going down hill, like a hillbilly!!!! Dealer #1 said it was normal.
Switched up to Vance and Hines with same sert, still getting alittle popping on decel in a higher rpm decel. Set up and tune from a completely different dealer # 2,
I have not dyno tuned yet, And was not pushed into getting one, What a freaking suprize that was and they told me that it may, or may not remove the decel pop.

Also in reading on the subject, that if you do get minor decel pop, thats a good thing, as long as it is not coming from the headers. Its all about balancing the lean and the rich, Air and fuel ratio. If you are not seeing a dramatic decrease in fuel. MPG's and maintaining the same you may be in a happy place. You basically may have to take the bike out of tune to take away decel pop.
Cant answer if this is a common issue with Rush slip on, or Vance and hine, but I have it, the same problem of pop, And living with it for now.
Theres alot going on with Harley changing to EPA Laws, and some Tuners working better than others with exhaust and air system changes, as with many on this forum, ......
Trial and error, and found what works and doesn't. It SUCKS that some have forked over bucks for a sert and buying a high end exhaust system V & H, and still have issues...... WTF!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
cncfxstb
Advanced

if you check inside your race tunder software there is a "decel fuel enrichment" setting, use this to rid the decel pop. and it can be tuned out of the bike without hurting the rest of your map.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
cncfxstb
Advanced

you do not have to take the bike out of tune to rid the pop, it is not a normal occurance, and is not healthy for the bikes. Using the base downloads in the race tuner and super tuner are exactly what they are. A BASE download so you can get your bike close when you start tuning.

Quick Reply: Back Firing