Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
cncfxstb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab211
I have decel pop on my carbed 2002 FLHT. Had it dynoed after adding a High Flow K@N air filter and dynojet kit. I have Screaming Eagle aftermarket pipes. He did it again after having decel pop and poor gas mileage. He told me it's set up perfect. Still has the decel pop. The stealer readjusted it with little improvement. I checked the exhaust for leaks then had it rechecked again. I was told By another tuner I might need it rejetted and am waiting till spring to have it retuned. This has been a real pain and I should have had it done while I had it in for service this winter but they didn't want to tune it in cold weather. I thought it was more of a carb problem but it looks like fuel injected bikes have the same problem. I'm glad there is a fix for it after the tuner at Tough Customs blew me off as imagining it. Three years of that is enough!
if the carb is jetted corectly you may even get some decel pop, try and turn your air idle mixture screw out another 1/2 turn, that might rid your problem.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 AM
grubby
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cncfxstb
if the carb is jetted corectly you may even get some decel pop, try and turn your air idle mixture screw out another 1/2 turn, that might rid your problem.
Yes that may fix it but I doubt it Check and see if its sucking air, check your pipes on all connections add some copper paste to seal them after fitting. Also check your exhaust gaskets see if they have any meat left sometimes over tightening allows air to get in then you get decel popping
I had mine dyno and took it back 3 times to correct the problem even installed a mikuni carbi thinking this may fix the problem.(always wanted one anyway)
The tech finally notice one gasket was a bit thin compared to other so we decided to change it.
sh**ty thing like that was all it needed. Not a problem since.