Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 PM
BarryN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my lowrider I use to have I also has V&H big radiums with stage one, AC but fuel pack and no dyno and it never popped like this ones does.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Backfiring

Having gone thru this same problem with three EFI Harleys I know for a fact that decel pop can be eliminated. The 2008 Heritage that I have now has the SERT System, Rinehart Slip On's and K&N Hi Flow AC. At dealer #1 I had my bike Dyno Tuned by a Tech who was supposed to be an expert, after four test runs each time I took the bike back to the expert. He finally said that I would have to live with the decel pop. I knew that was bulls...t as I had been down the same road before with a PC, also a Rev Tech DFO on two previous Harleys. I finally decided to spend another $200 and take a chance at dealer #2. The Tech was a young guy who knew how to tune my SERT. Took bike out for test run, no backfire or decel pop. Gas mpg = 40--42 at 70mph, HP=73, TQ=87, yes I know the numbers could be a bit better but I use my bike for long distance riding and not for racing. I feel that I have a good compromise between adequate power and economy.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 AM
vgreno2000
Intermediate

Lets think: Poppin happens when fuel explodes outside the cylinder chamber, cause when decel some fuel escapes through exhaust valves.

Adding fuel on 0% may help cause explosion happens a little before, but when decel your bike will not reduce speed as before. (that happened to me)

If you use exhaust without baffles, exhaust gases will run free, increasing popping, so another option is to put some baffles.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
smitbrad
Tourer

I had the same thing after I had the dyno - lots of popping on decel. I took it back to the dealer and they put it back on the dyno and made further adjustments. There was no additional charge since they did not get it right the first time. I still get occasional popping but only 10% of the time. They told me minimal popping is normal.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my PCIII dynoed and the popping is all but gone. it pops less than 10% of the time, and even then its mostly a muffled kinda pop, not a full backfire. I think I'm running a bit rich in some spots, but am waiting to retune until I get my new exhaust system.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

What's wrong with a little popping sound. People know I'm around when it happens. I noticed it happens more frequently when I run into cooler weather.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 AM
ahab211
Cruiser

I have decel pop on my carbed 2002 FLHT. Had it dynoed after adding a High Flow K@N air filter and dynojet kit. I have Screaming Eagle aftermarket pipes. He did it again after having decel pop and poor gas mileage. He told me it's set up perfect. Still has the decel pop. The stealer readjusted it with little improvement. I checked the exhaust for leaks then had it rechecked again. I was told By another tuner I might need it rejetted and am waiting till spring to have it retuned. This has been a real pain and I should have had it done while I had it in for service this winter but they didn't want to tune it in cold weather. I thought it was more of a carb problem but it looks like fuel injected bikes have the same problem. I'm glad there is a fix for it after the tuner at Tough Customs blew me off as imagining it. Three years of that is enough!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM
BarryN
Tourer

Guess I will take it back to the dyno place and see what they say. Mine even pops when I am in 6 gear and let off the throttle.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryN
I will take it back to see if they will re-dyno but sure hate to may another 3 bills.
if it is a good shop they should take care of you

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM
eagle1eye
Cruiser

I had alot of decel popping with v&h longshots & SE air cleaner. Went with PCIII & it reduced popping 95%, really reduced the engine heat also. Bike runs very well now. I'm thinking about a dyno tune this spring. No complaints with PCIII here. I tried taking the baffles out but didn't like the sound & had some popping too. I'd try some different baffles.

Quick Reply: Back Firing