Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Refresh the Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience with the SE oil, but the guys on here seem to know what they are talking about. I'd go with it, it's kinda like to find the right ammo for your gun... You have to try it and see if it works for you.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good enough. It's all on order now so just a matter of the long wait. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Smile Phase 1 To Begin

The parts are in. Besides the routine maintenance, I'll be lowering the bike about 2". I'm using the Progressive 422 shocks and the Progressive fork lowering kit along with a 1" shorter Arlen Ness (stock-looking) jiffy stand. I also got the Genuine James fork seal kit.

I'm asking he use the SE 20w oil in the shocks. This seems to be the most recommended.

I'm working on getting it scheduled in the shop now. I'll pay them a few extra bucks to clean the bike up a bit. Winter riding has taken its toll.

We've got some relatively wonderful weather coming through Northern VA this weekend with temps around 50 degrees. I can't wait to get out there and finish scraping off the metal on the floorboards... weather the work is done or not.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 AM
kkinderen
Road Master
Unhappy Phase 1 Problems

Just got the bike back after the lowering and some other work and unfortunately I'm not too pleased. The bike is way too low - and I think it is in the front where the problem is. First, I cannot make the mildest of turns without touching down. I'm not even sure it is just the floorboards hitting because it is hitting so hard. Second, when I hit a small bump the front smacks real hard on the rebound (on the way up). This leads me to believe the mech didn't cut the spacer to the right size - probably way too short. The instructions say start at 3" and shave no more than .25" at a time to a minimum of 2.5" or add .25" up to 4".

I used the Progressive drop-in springs in the front. Has anyone had this experience with them? If so, and you have hints, I can pass them on to the mech.

I've got a call into him to get it back in the shop as soon as possible. Right now it can't ride it.

The rear is lowered with 422's but I can't really tell how that worked out until I get the front fixed up.

Just a snag. I'm not worried that he can't take care of it for me but he only gets one more crack at it before I go in search of someone else.

I did notice that shifting feels great... better than ever. I have to find out exactly what oil he put in there. He told me what it was but I didn't write it down. I didn't expect that to make so much of a difference.

He also cleaned her up nicely. I ride through the winter and it was looking pretty terrible.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Missouri-Heritage-Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you lower anything, you are compromising the ride and feel.. With going as low as you did, plus the weigt of the rider, that sets the floorboards, and frame and a short distance from the asphalt..The scraping with this setup is a give-me.

I ride with a buddy with an 06 Fatboy, with the same lowering setup you installed, and he hates it..he loves the look, but his turning radius, and ground to frame distance sucks.. I contemplated lowering my Heritage until I have seen all of the issues he has had.. The thump on the frontend could be a few causes. As you stated, the first thing that comes to mind are the spacers, or the space in between..

I am sure the mechanic will look at it and adjust what needs it..

Good luck on your project..I have enjoyed the reading.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Smile Phase 1 Complete

Well I brought the bike back to Jason. He acknowledged he did not put the front forks together correctly. I had read the instructions myself and didn't realize the small spring originally in the fork was to remain. I swear if you read the instructions it says pull the old springs and put in the new. But there's a picture off to the side that says previous lowering springs should be pulled but the original compensation spring (the real small one) stays. It was good of Jason (in my mind) to acknowledge the situation and spend a few hours on the bike correcting the mistake.

After he was done, I got the bike out on the road. The rear is as low as the 422's will allow and the front is using the 3" spacer (not sure what that translates to in height change). The ride was significantly stiffer than I remember but surer. I had no problems with touching down the floorboards... I could force them down when I wanted to but in a normal turn she was real smooth. Clearance is not a problem. Going through a section of road where construction is going on the bike followed each bump (pretty stiffly) where before it seemed to bounce through the bumps.

Overall, this was an excellent upgrade. She looks great down low, rides true in the turns and doesn't hide the road. It also happens to be a little easier to swing my leg over her.

Thanks for all the advice!

Now to figure out what's next...

I'm thinking handlebars.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
2DAKERB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to see some pics, fatboys look sweet lowered.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
kkinderen
Road Master
Default Pictures

Here's the bike after it was lowered.

Attached Thumbnails Time to Refresh the Ride-010.jpg   Time to Refresh the Ride-012.jpg   Time to Refresh the Ride-014.jpg   Time to Refresh the Ride-016.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Default More Pictures

A few more.

Attached Thumbnails Time to Refresh the Ride-011.jpg   Time to Refresh the Ride-013.jpg   Time to Refresh the Ride-015.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Lightbulb Pictures After Lowering

I figured out how to include larger pictures... watch out now!

Last edited by kkinderen; 02-11-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Light Bulb Came On

Quick Reply: Time to Refresh the Ride