Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Refresh the Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, there's no website that I can find.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
stevevfd
Tourer

That's pretty good. I try to do as much of my own work as possible, and I refuse to give Patriot my money unless I have to.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice ride, dont even think about getting rid of it or trading it in. I believe you would regret it big time, just needs a face lift. By the way, nice exhaust.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you asked... 8^)

Originally Posted by kkinderen
Here's the current list in order of priority:

1. Front and rear suspension components - never replaced, seems mushy
You are going to replace springs and seals in the front and probably a wholesale replacement of rear shocks. Consider just buying the lowered kits on each. Not much, an inch or so, but you're buying them so why not add some "attitude". Don't forget the shortened kickstand or wedge for the regular one.

2. Check / replace transmission (maybe 6-speed?) - thinking this might be the source of the rattles
3. Check / replace clutch - maybe rattles here
4. Hunt down rattles - could be anything, hope it doesn't fall off
Okay, so fix the rattles. You can get a whole new tranny, or just buy a gearset for yours and have it installed. You won't regret the 6 speed at all. A new clutch is an automatic with this kind of rebuild. Get a new primary chain and secondary belt while you're at it. Might think about a dry primary and/or a compensator to give you a better ride.

5. Replace most of front cabling - after a few handlebar changes, I've had to splice wires
6. Fix the speedometer - my GPS tells me the speed but this should get fixed
New diamond cables... aftermarket fine and cheaper, and get someone with some electronics tech experience to run a wiring check for you. Consider a new speedo like the speedo/tach combos if that is the culprit.

7. Replace floorboards - just about worn these out
lots of choices. Stock, nostalgia, cool ones by HD or aftermarket. I like the Cobra's personally.

8. Brighter headlight - I'm getting old or cars are getting more invisible
Get a whole new light. The new ones allow you to change out the bulb so you can go from normal to high dollar uber bright.

9. Beach bars, 1.25", internal wiring - used to have wide bars and miss them
Note that you will have to get the shorty risers to fit under the nacelle riser cover. Had to do that on my 07'. If they are hard to find, look up the HD alternate parts kit required for a nacelle on an 07 or later Fatboy.

10. Replace mirrors and front turn signals - don't like the Kuryakin mirrors I have now
They do make a nice light bar http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US however do a search for moving turn signals to front forks on the forum. Take a look at my "now you don't" pic to see what they look like moved down.. much cleaner.

14. Good saddlebags - I hate throw-overs
Lots of saddlebag questions being asked on the forum... you can learn a lot. I use the easy bracket cause they will work with any style bag, are detachable, and are stronger than crap. Think about adding a trunk on the back to pack crap along with you... its a daily rider so you can use the space. Make it detachable an you have dual options on riding.

15. Replace highway pegs - attached to the floorboards, maybe add an engine guard with pegs?
Engine guard? Ich... its a Fatboy. Take a look at the fold out pegs that mount to the underside of the floorboard.

16. Clean or replace wheels - these look ugly gray and can't clean them
Low tech? If you still like the wheels, have them glass bead blasted, polished, and shoot them with clear coat. OR, powder coat them. An alternative is to buy the chrome ones from HD or get some spokes, or lots of bucks on custom wheels.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

You are going to replace springs and seals in the front and probably a wholesale replacement of rear shocks. Consider just buying the lowered kits on each. Not much, an inch or so, but you're buying them so why not add some "attitude". Don't forget the shortened kickstand or wedge for the regular one.
Actually I was only considering lowering the rear - maybe that would look nuts? I'm looking at the Progressive 422 series shocks which appear to allow lowering adjustment up to 2". Besides a new stand, I guess that's all I'd need to lower the rear? Do most people lower the front and rear?

Get a new primary chain and secondary belt while you're at it. Might think about a dry primary and/or a compensator to give you a better ride.
I was thinking of replacing the chain with gears (and new cams) using an 88 ci S&S kit. My main reason for considering this is I've had my engine rebuit once because the chain tensioner broke loose. I understand there are other advantages but there is a noise disadvantage. As for the dry primary, I've never heard of this before. Is this the same as a dry clutch? My old BMW had a dry clutch and I didn't like it as much as I like the HD clutch. Maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing here.

Take a look at my "now you don't" pic to see what they look like moved down.. much cleaner.
Yep - I like that much better than the light bar. Actually saw a picture somewhere of the turn signals built into the nacelle but I never found it in any catalog. I really think the nacelle is a great finishing touch up front. The light bars cover it up a bit too much.

Engine guard? Ich... its a Fatboy. Take a look at the fold out pegs that mount to the underside of the floorboard.
I have the Kuryakyn pegs mounted under the floorboards. They don't seem to allow me to stretch out enough. I haven't seen any other options out there so I was thinking an engine guard might get me the right distance. I agree, the Fatboy looks a lot better without the guard but it was one of those compromises I was considering.

Thanks for the advice. Plenty to consider and it helps

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

Jason from Brooks Cycle Center showed up today to look over the bike. He couldn't hear the rattles but when he picks up the bike to start the repairs he'll give it a longer run. That whole thing may be my imagination.

Here's what he did find:

* Oil leaking through the filler tube. I'll just replace the oil cap.
* Oil leaking around the carb.
* Front fork seals need to be replaced. If I can afford it, I'll get the Progressive springs and 422 shocks to lower the bike around 2". Otherwise, I'll just purchase the seals for now.
* He'll get the speedo/odo working again.
* He'll do the normal service work on the bike.
* He'll try to find the rattle I'm talking about and diagnose further.

The guy appeared knowledgeable. He works on other-than-American bikes so I'm a little nervous with that. I'll be getting the parts (fork seals) from Dennis Kirk and he'll take the bike when they come in.

We talked about a lot of other long term work but I think this is what the bike needs to make sure she's still in good mechanical shape. As time goes on (and the wallet cooperates) and if he turns out to be the right guy to work on the bike then I'll pass the other jobs his way.

If the group is interested, I'll keep posting my progress. Otherwise I'll just pop in here from time to time to ask questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to agree about the Easy Brakets for the saddlebags. Very strong, and durable. Fit nearly any bag, and gives you te option of riding with bags, or without in under 1 minute. Locks onto bike, so theft of the bag is not an issue.

Wife runs them on her Deluxe. When removing them for around town, I pull the monts and all, and replace them with chrome hardware so the look of the bike is cleaner. tas me about 5 minutes, but the look is worth it.

Also added a leather trunk bag on the luggage rack. Gives hera small amount of storage, and keeps things clean at the same time. Got these from Boss Bags, went with the medium sized bag, with end pockets for her glasses and gloves.

You seem to be headed in the right directions, Keep us updated, it always goood to share ideas

Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
kkinderen
Road Master
Default Someone Check Components for Lowering?

I ordered the following parts for the suspension. The goal is to replace some old components and lower the bike by around 2".

The part numbers are Dennis Kirk
Part# 588574 Progressive 422 Series Shocks
Part# 583542 Progressive Drop-In Front Fork Lowering System
Part# H14543 Genuine James Fork Seal Kit

Three questions:

1) What kickstand should I get (or what do I look for) for a 2" lowered 2003 Fatboy?
2) Arlen Ness has shortened dampers. Is this something I need up front or will the new Progressive springs be enough?
3) Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
Kev

Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be a great opportunity to change the fork oil for a thicker one. I think a 1" lower kickstand will do it. I guess you're all set.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by frenchman
Would be a great opportunity to change the fork oil for a thicker one. I think a 1" lower kickstand will do it. I guess you're all set.
Someone above mentioned SE weight oil. Is that thick enough?

Quick Reply: Time to Refresh the Ride