Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:50 AM
2009XBones
|
Intermediate
Question Powder Coating

So i want to get almost all of the pieces in/around my engine powder coated black. I found a guy in my area who takes the bike apart, does the work, and puts it all back together. Sounds great to me, but then he said it was going to cost about 620$ and take a few days. That sounds like a lot to me but i wasnt sure. Anyone have any ideas or input about the situation?

Thanks!!

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:54 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't know how much work are talking about but for doing all the removing then powder coating and putting all back and torquing to specs don't sound that bad to me .. Can always remove yourself and take it into him and compare prices.. either way is going take a couple of days..

Old 01-20-2009 | 07:45 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

I tell people this a lot, but prices vary greatly by location. Since you don't have your location displayed it's going to be tough for anyone in YOUR area to help answer your question. The best thing for you to do is call around to other shops and compare prices. If you have some tools and the manual you will definately save money by doing the labor yourself and just paying for the powder coating.

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:33 AM
BTL
Tourer

Heres the powder coating I got for 150 bucks doing the work myself, dont know how much more you wanted done, but you will have to spend alot to replace the gaskets and oil you loose, example 33 bucks for the primary gasket, 5 bucks apiece for the cam cover and derby, and it depends on the oil you use for the cost of that replacement. By the way you will need to take off the jiffy stand to get the one long bolt out of the fornt primary cover, and its easier if you take your lower exhaust heatshield off to get the one bolt on the cam cover.

Attached Thumbnails Powder Coating-7.jpg   Powder Coating-18.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009 | 01:13 PM
2009XBones
|
Intermediate

Ok, to start i am in Jacksonville, FL. What sucks is i dont really know a lot about stripping down my bike, my tools are not the best eaither. And to top it off i have no garrage to do it in. So paying for the labor is really my only option.

BTL, im not sure of the exact names of the parts i want to get powder coated, but its the primary cover, the cam covers (right under the tank) and then for the right side of the bike i want the lower right cover done and then the case that says "SIX SPEED" on it just behind the pipes. It comes out to 6 pieces being powder coated so.

Ill try and shop around, it might be cheaper even to have Harley strip the bike down, then i can take the parts in myself, and again Harley put the bike back together. We will see.

If anyone is in/near Jacksonville and has some info let me know please.

Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:32 PM
JRK5892
Banned

primary, rocker boxes (2 parts each box) inspection cover, derby cover, trans cover,
i got 8 parts when i total them... man just from hearing what you are saying i would say take it to an Indy shop or have the coater do it... this way it is done right... 620, for the labor to get the stuff on and off the bike, new gaskets, fluids, then media blasting, the actual powder caoting... does not sound to bad to me, that is about what i would prob charge depending on the colors and stuff

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:34 PM
TW
Road Master

Or you could buy all the black pieces for a Night Train.

You could get lucky and find someone selling those pieces used as "take-offs" because they were chroming out their engine, too.

Old 01-20-2009 | 03:02 PM
BTL
Tourer

I would'nt do the derby or the timing cover, its just as cheap to buy them in black powder coating instead and looks much better I think, heres a pick of the derby cover the timing cover is its match. if you have no place to keep the bike while it is apart, think your better off having the dealer or a indy doing for you. like I said before your probally looking around 200 bucks in materials to put the bike back together, that including all the gaskets, and new derby covers plus all the fluids, you loose all the primary fluid, a little out of the oil tank when you pull your cam cover off, and I have'nt done it yet but I think you got to drain the tramission fluid before you take the transmission cover off, and yes you will need a lot of different tools to make life easy.

Attached Thumbnails Powder Coating-8.jpg   Powder Coating-14.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009 | 04:54 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

yeah man, i'm gonna have to agree with most of these guys. that price you got quoted sounds reasonable. it's a pain in the ***** to get all those parts off and then you have to worry about putting it back together. i would look into maybe swapping with someone who's got black parts on their bike and are maybe looking to go with chrome now.

Old 01-20-2009 | 04:59 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

If you talk to your local shop then they could probably send the parts to the PC when you do your service. Our local shop does that. They can probably point you in the right direction for a PC that they use.

Quick Reply: Powder Coating