Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Opinions on Internal Throttles

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Looking for Opinions on Internal Throttles

So looking to participate in a group buy on another forum. The throttle is supposed to be one of the best out there with ball bearings etc.

Called the guys I use for custom work, they were not too enthusiastic about putting this on my bike.

They have not had great experiences with internal throttles, in fact they took them off their own personal bikes and don't recommend it. Claim there is always some sticking and issues because of the kinks in the cable running through the bars.

So before i pull the trigger i thought i would reach out to my trusted forum for feedback and input. the make of the throttle is EXILE.

Looking for all comments good or bad.

thanks in advance. Ted

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Internal throttles are called "straight wires" for a reason. They work fine with a wire, less fine with a cable. If you're looking for a smooth auto return I have never found that available with an internal. I think it has to do with the amount of spring pressure available from the carb or throttle body, and the amount of friction in the internal throttle (a lot more than an external).

Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My next door neighbor has one on his bobber, 2 years of riding and no problems with it so far. If you are going to get one, Exile makes on of the best, if not the best.