Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Slip Ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Gwasshoppa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone, like I said I don't can't get to carried away where I live, even though I want to. Got some great ideas from the forum, "what are the best pipes" I think I have it narrowed down to about three when I get to buy the replacements, but until I get the higher priority stuff out of the way I can keep playing with the other ideas.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine gave me a set of SEs and they were not very loud on his bike so I thought that a little modification was in order. You can pull the small bolt in the rear of the muffler and with very little effort, you can push the baffle out of the rear of the pipe.

The baffle is surrounded by fiberglass and something like screen wire. We threw away the fiberglass packing and screen wire. That leaves you with a baffle with a center plug in it to force the exhaust gases out through the sides of the baffle.

We did not alter the center plug but did double the amount of holes in the baffle, The original baffle has five rows of six holes in it. We doubled the amout of holes and then installed them on my '07 FXSTC. You can do this modification in just a few minutes.

Before changing the pipes, my 96B engine was a dog--really sluggish. After changing the pipes it runs a lot stronger and somewhat louder. I told this to some dude on this site and he believes all I got was noise. Couldn't be furthur from the truth. It improved performance and I got a good sound. I haven't touched the mapping and I get no popping, backfire or anything but a greatly improved machine.

Do not leave the baffles completely out. You will lose too much back pressure and it won't run for crap.

Good luck on the modifications. Price is right!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the bike will run as hot as ever because it it designed to due to EPA. if you mod the baffles there is a good chance you will cause the engine to run worse without a fuel management