Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by parakiller
Looks pretty good! how do they perform? (the lowers)
The Lowers completely cut out the wind from below the Fairing

Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Supernova01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna have to seriously consider this for my RKCustom, I just wish they would make on to fit with my deflector so I wouldn't have to buy a new nacelle! Thanks for all of the pics and detailed info!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master

I'm thinking there will be a lot of windshields for sale soon!!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
lclement
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Got the Memphis Shades batwing fairing for my Fatboy today. Received it in four days from Phat Performance. Good people. Price is right, good web site, and they advise if any part needs to be back ordered and ask for approval.

The fairing is good quality, fit and finish is fine, backside too. A notice on the Memphis Shades trigger lock mounting brackets package says they will replace any hardware free...not the fairing and windshield, but the mounting hardware. I thought that's a nice touch.

The fairing works much better than a plain HD windshield. On the freeway easy sailing at 75 MPH on a windy day...not real strong winds. Hardly any turbulence coming from below, without Memphis deflectors. Just slight wind at stomach level and on the legs of course, nothing to be concerned about. The plain HD windshield resists the wind; the Memphis fairing is more aerodynamic...less motion passed through to the handlebars.

I previously had HD wind deflectors mounted. From what I experienced today, I don't think I will be needing these. Looking at the Memphis Shades trigger lock hardware, it would be possible to mount HD wind deflectors with longer Allen bolts and washers for spacers. If I need further deflectors, the Memphis Shades lower deflectors attach to the fairing with three bolts...probably go that way.

FYI: 2000 Fatboy, light bar, stock seat, 6-2, 32" inseam, 7" black gradient windshield at nose height.
Hello, I am curious if there is any at all wind coming from below or above your wind screen and fairing? And do you wear a helmet when you ride on the interstate? I have been experiencing nasty wind buffeting to the point it blurs my vision when I wear a helmet and have my wind screen on at interstate speed (80mph)

Very interested since I would love to tour with my fatty so much but this wind buffeting is killing me! Thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lclement
Hello, I am curious if there is any at all wind coming from below or above your wind screen and fairing? And do you wear a helmet when you ride on the interstate? I have been experiencing nasty wind buffeting to the point it blurs my vision when I wear a helmet and have my wind screen on at interstate speed (80mph)

Very interested since I would love to tour with my fatty so much but this wind buffeting is killing me! Thanks
No wind coming from above with the Memphis Shades fairing on the interstate. I wear a 3/4 helmet all the time with a flat visor. There is slight wind at stomach level, nothing like the harsh buffeting at chest level coming from below with a standard Harley windshield. There is still wind on the legs. You can check where the wind is coming from and where it hits by moving your left hand to various positions. From what Xarian reports, above, wind can be knocked down further with the Memphis lowers, around $35. I may try the Memphis lowers after I get more seat time...been raining quite a bit lately.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
lclement
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dorkman
No wind coming from above with the Memphis Shades fairing on the interstate. I wear a 3/4 helmet all the time with a flat visor. There is slight wind at stomach level, nothing like the harsh buffeting at chest level coming from below with a standard Harley windshield. There is still wind on the legs. You can check where the wind is coming from and where it hits by moving your left hand to various positions. From what Xarian reports, above, wind can be knocked down further with the Memphis lowers, around $35. I may try the Memphis lowers after I get more seat time...been raining quite a bit lately.

Thank you very much for your input! I had an original HD King Sized Screen and the buffeting was awful… then up grade to a clear-view wind screen which helped some but still not to the lever of comfort I want for an all day ride. Clear-view makes great wind shields but I just can’t seem to get comfortable. I think these batwings will be on back order all summer once word gets out so I think I will order mine today then piece it together… I don’t have the turn signals relocated yet but plan getting the light bar from Harley to do so…

I have a mustang wide vintage solo seat on my fatty who raised me about 1-2 inches, but I am 6’0’’ so we should end up at about the same eye height I suppose…

Man whish I would have waited to get that darn clear-view… at least I will know what works absolutely best for me… I suppose I can see them at a decent cost as long as all hard wear is included should this batwing work the way I hope it does…

The riding season is still about a month out (at least, Iowa) so I have some time to get this baby on!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

I like it!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
lclement
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wildman67
I like it!
Like that yellow fatboy! Its pimp

Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
The Lowers completely cut out the wind from below the Fairing
I see that Memphis lower deflectors cut out wind that comes up from below and hits the upper body, but do they also reduce wind on the legs, and if so, how much?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
lclement
Cruiser

I received my batwing today but of course its broken! It was damaged in shipping and now has to wait for a new one…

Just when the weather was getting nice…. Errrrrrrrrrr. Man I am mad about that, first time I have ever had something break when shipped. Now they want me to send them pics of the fairing so I did… then they wanted pics of the box and the packing it contained… next they are probably going to want me to ship in back in the first place… damn it sorry just needed to vent a little.

Take a look...

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-batwing-broken-in-shipping-001.jpg  

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing