Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the Memphis Shades batwing fairing for my Fatboy today. Received it in four days from Phat Performance. Good people. Price is right, good web site, and they advise if any part needs to be back ordered and ask for approval.

The fairing is good quality, fit and finish is fine, backside too. A notice on the Memphis Shades trigger lock mounting brackets package says they will replace any hardware free...not the fairing and windshield, but the mounting hardware. I thought that's a nice touch.

The fairing works much better than a plain HD windshield. On the freeway easy sailing at 75 MPH on a windy day...not real strong winds. Hardly any turbulence coming from below, without Memphis deflectors. Just slight wind at stomach level and on the legs of course, nothing to be concerned about. The plain HD windshield resists the wind; the Memphis fairing is more aerodynamic...less motion passed through to the handlebars.

I previously had HD wind deflectors mounted. From what I experienced today, I don't think I will be needing these. Looking at the Memphis Shades trigger lock hardware, it would be possible to mount HD wind deflectors with longer Allen bolts and washers for spacers. If I need further deflectors, the Memphis Shades lower deflectors attach to the fairing with three bolts...probably go that way.

FYI: 2000 Fatboy, light bar, stock seat, 6-2, 32" inseam, 7" black gradient windshield at nose height.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info Dorkman.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 AM
wheelspin
Advanced
Default Memphis Shades Lowere

XARAN,
Do you have any pictures with the lowers on your Memphis Shades fairing you can post? I would like to see how they look installed on one. I have not been able to ride anymore for another test ride as it has been really bad weather here in West MI. As a matter of fact we got BLASTED last night with what looks to be about a foot of snow! I would not mind so bad if I had a snow machine.
wheelspin
Originally Posted by XARAN
The Fairing looks great on your RK ! Easy on and off so you can have the best of both looks.

If you are getting more wind from below add the Memphis Shades Lowers . I have them but dont know if I will use them much because I did not feel i had much wind coming up from under the fairing. They look good and go on and off with thumb screws.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 AM
wheelspin
Advanced
Default Could paint the fairing

voodoochild,
You could always have a local body shop or yourself shoot the fairing with some paint to match the gf's bike. Don't forget to have some flex added to the paint mix as the fairing is flexed just a bit putting it on and off.
wheelspin
Originally Posted by voodoochild
Thanks ultra bob for posting on the deluxe. Also the picture of the rear view is a big help since i think this will be most peoples interest. The gf's deluxe is the jake and elwood two tone blue 07. Not sure how a black fairing will look on it. Might be ok.

I know i'm being a pain, but if you get a chance could you post a pic of your whole bike with the fairing on it?

I see also on the memphis shades site that they have the quick detach hardware that harley has had a while. Always thought it was the best way to go, but now for the price i'm thinking the memphis shades quick detach in a small shield for my softail standard on long rides.

cheers

Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser

Good point wheelspin. In fact my brother in law paints for a living so it wouldnt likely cost too much to colour match it to her bike.
I get the feeling this fairing is going to be very very popular.
Cant wait to actually see one up close.
Again thanks everyone for all the info posted.
cheers

Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelspin
XARAN,
Do you have any pictures with the lowers on your Memphis Shades fairing you can post? I would like to see how they look installed on one. I have not been able to ride anymore for another test ride as it has been really bad weather here in West MI. As a matter of fact we got BLASTED last night with what looks to be about a foot of snow! I would not mind so bad if I had a snow machine.
wheelspin
I will shoot a couple tomorrow and post them. I also changed to the 9" windshield untill it warms up a little. It makes the 130 mile commute very comfortable.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelspin
XARAN,
wheelspin
Here are some pictures of the Fairingwith lowers and a 9"windshield

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-fairingfrntcloseup.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-fairinglowersfnt.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-lowersfntclose.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty good! how do they perform? (the lowers)

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing