Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A couple of pictures

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-photo.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-1.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-13.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-14.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-19.jpg  

Last edited by XARAN; 01-19-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Will try to answer questions... but first, thanks brent...

Okay, my batwing is not a Memphis version, it is actually an original off a 70's model FL that a friend gave me. Because "free" is a good price, I spent time and bucks having the mounting brackets lengthened and redesigned to make them detachable. That was important because I enjoy stripping it down to the solo seat bar-hopper mode at times as well. I hand painted it (for now) to match somewhat so I could ride for a while with it on to decide if I wanted to keep the thing or do something different without spending a ton on paint.

The difference between mine and all the later model FLH or aftermarket fairings is that they all attach the windshield at the top of the fairing whereas mine attaches to the mounting bracket. I don't have measurements yet (going flying for a week so I'll report when I get home next weekend) but I took the original windscreen and added tinting and cut it down to around 9" above the fairing. I believe it is a little taller than, say, the Street Glide, but not as tall as the HD short windshield. I'm 5'7" and sit at the back of the seat and the wind goes over my head, and I look through the top inch or two of the windshield. I cut it longer so I had wiggle room and am satisfied with the first try. I have a windshield too so I will measure them both to give everyone an idea.

I've posted on this before. I like the newer fairings because of the way the windshield attaches (most will interchange) and because most have an inner fairing; mine doesn't as you can see from the pics. If I didn't have the bag in the middle, it would be a huge gaping hole into nowhere.

I don't use the wind deflectors, though I can definitely tell they would work well. The fairing does block a significantly greater amount of wind, making one's arms work much less. However, it does funnel the air along the bottom of the tank and right up your torso. I have a big mustache and it is usually standing straight up after an hour of riding with the fairing on. If you get a fairing, you will have to decide whether to use them. Also, as Chris indicates, you have to move your handlebar mounted turn signals because they can't be seen behind the fairing. I got the instructions from this site and cobbled together what was needed, but I have since seen the parts for sale in different catalogs. It is easy to do and a nice afternoon's work with a ball game on in the garage.

I attached pics of the backside. In the closeup, you can see the brackets on each side of the bag and/or maybe at the top, the mounting flange for the windshield.

I'm real impressed by the cost of the Memphis batwing. The question would be fit, quality of the thing and whether it cracks easily, and what the backside looks like. That said, if you are interested in a fairing, don't be afraid to give it a try. I was sceptical at first but am a firm believer now. Heck, even when I strip it down I often times leave the fairing on just cause the ride is nicer and I think it looks cool.

Later,
Pk.

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-006.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-020.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-028.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a fairing that you can install tunes in try this one. It looks a little different with the small scoop in the front but it is a very well made fairing and it is very strong construction and fits very tight on the bike. I have been complimented many times on how well it looks. I have one on my road king custom. Black shield also. Was on it when I bought the bike. I am very very happy with it. It is not as cheap as the memphis one but a allot cheaper than the other models. and you can add tunes!

I have a leather bag below the stereo also.

It is from the trike shop.

Fairing
http://www.trikeshop.com/acc_details.php?id=86

Here is a link on a fat boy.

Brackets

http://www.trikeshop.com/acc_photo_d...?id=90&pid=449

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
A couple of pictures
Looks great. IMO it looks better then just a windshield. If I thought I needed the wind protection, that is what I would get.
Tom

Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Xaran that looks nice and I bet it's real lightweight !
Try the Clearview with recurve 6.5" shield there like a 8" shield in protection and worked well with my Dragonfly.

Last edited by acchd; 01-19-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A couple of pictures
A couple more

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-fairingside.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-17.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-fairingside2.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay... someone had asked about measurments.

My windscreen is 7.5 inches above the top of the fairing. From the top of the speedometer housing (highest point, closest to handlebars) to the top of the windscreen is 14.75 inces.

I'm attaching some pics to show the back side of my fairing and the mounts. On the older style mount, it has to be lengthened and notched to fit the detachable grommets. Also I had to trim the headlight opening to fit a nacelle, and take note of the notch on the bottom on one pic. Notched both sides so it fit back nice and tight on the front end.

Attached Thumbnails Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-007.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-002.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-003.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-004.jpg   Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing-008.jpg  

Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for the pics and measurements guys! I dont use my shield often. Maybe because it looks kinda lame?? If their comes a time that it does get used regularly, it will get replaced with this setup!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
wheelspin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Memphis Shades Fairing For Me : )

I just purchased a new Memphis Shades fairing today for my Roadking with a 9" windshield. Should be here by next week anyway & I will post before and after pictures.
wheelspin

I just installed the Memphis Shades Fairing on my Fatnoy today and started a thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...he-fatboy.html

I have only ridden about 50 miles with it , but I really like it compared to a windshield. I have the 5" windshield on it so there is wind in the face but no buffeting. With the 5" shield it measures about 15 inches above the headlight so it is 3 in lower than the HD Low Profile windshield. I am ordering a 9" shield to see how that is but I know that I like the look of the lower shield a lot better .

I also have the lowers for the fairing and tried them out but I dont think I will use them, the stock fairing has no wind coming up from under the fairing, adding the lower wings only stops some wind on the legs.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion ...... looks like a well made product and I'm sure they have a place on certain bikes but I would never put one on a softail. Just doesn't look right.
My .02

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing