Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unplugged O2 Sensors???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
vascik883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unplugged O2 Sensors???????

I had my 08 NT mapped and had a screaming eagle AC and PC installed on my bike about two months ago by the stealer. The other day, while cleaning my bike, I realized both of my O2 sensors were unplugged and capped. I put installed my new pipes myself and only did the necessary unscrewing of the o2 sensors, so it was defiantly done at the stealer.

Is this normal, or did they forget to plug them back in? I was thinking they just by passed them for whatever reason, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try to make it back to the stealer and ask them why it was done this way, but I would appreciate everyones input on this so not to cause serious damage....

Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the PCIII on my 05 and it worked great, but my 05 did not come w/o2's. When I got my 07 I bought a TMax w/autotune and wide-band o2's. This set-up is quite a bit more expensive but retains the use of o2's and upgrades them to wideband o2's.

When they install a PCIII on a bike that came from the factory with o2 sensors, they take them out of the system. I didn't like the idea of removing the only sensor on the bike that actually knows whats happening in the combustion chamber. Basically, your bike has no on the fly tuning now.
Anyone on here that knows more about it than me, please chime in.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That's amazing. They almost HAD to put a PCIII on the bike. I never heard of a 02 sensor equipped bike running even close enough to right with the sensors unplugged. Pull the seat off and look also at the wiring harness to see if there is a PC plugged into to it.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Jason, he said they installed a screaming eagle AC and PC.
He installed the aftermarket pipes and put the stock o2's in them before taking it to the dealer for the A/C and PC install.
What really sucks is that he did not come on here first to get info before buying.
It might not have changed his mind on the PCIII but it probably would have changed his mind on having the dealer install the A/C and PCIII. It's very easy and they probably put a canned map in it and sent it on it's way. You can do all of this yourswelf and not pay the dealer a dime.

P.S. Vas, if you are going to keep the PCIII on there, I reccomend you remove the O2's completely and plug the pipes. There is no point in letting a pair of good o2 sensors go bad just for a ride along.

Last edited by mopardave; 01-10-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
learfxr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into the PC5 for my bike. The install instructions do say to unplug the sensors and install the supplied electrical plug into the stock harness to eliminate the sensors input. I was kinda surprised by that too. They now sell the Auto Tuning kit that replaces the sensors with a wide band one and they feed into separate little elec boxes that then plug into the PC5.

Kinda like taking a bike with sensors and returning it to older technology by removing the sensors from the system, unless you want to fork over more $$ for the live tuning kit as an add-on

I'm still unsure what system I want for my bike. I'm sure they all work fine and I don't plan engine mods, so I may just get something simple to install and program.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by learfxr
I was looking into the PC5 for my bike. The install instructions do say to unplug the sensors and install the supplied electrical plug into the stock harness to eliminate the sensors input. I was kinda surprised by that too. They now sell the Auto Tuning kit that replaces the sensors with a wide band one and they feed into separate little elec boxes that then plug into the PC5.

Kinda like taking a bike with sensors and returning it to older technology by removing the sensors from the system, unless you want to fork over more $$ for the live tuning kit as an add-on

I'm still unsure what system I want for my bike. I'm sure they all work fine and I don't plan engine mods, so I may just get something simple to install and program.

I love my TMax w/autotune. It completely replaces the stock computer and o2's.
You remove the factory computer and install the TMAx w/auto tune. Route the o2 sensor wires and tie them up and plug them into the new wide band o2's. After that you just follow the instructions on your computer (laptop is nice, but a desk top will work if your cord is long enough).
My bike runs better, stronger, and cooler. It also shreds stock bikes with ease. I have the Big Sucker Stage 2 a/c and V&H BSS.
The tune changes with the changes in your riding conditions. It's a great unit. There are at least a couple other similar units on the market. Others can tell you about them, I have no experience with them.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
Jason, he said they installed a screaming eagle AC and PC.
He installed the aftermarket pipes and put the stock o2's in them before taking it to the dealer for the A/C and PC install.
What really sucks is that he did not come on here first to get info before buying.
It might not have changed his mind on the PCIII but it probably would have changed his mind on having the dealer install the A/C and PCIII. It's very easy and they probably put a canned map in it and sent it on it's way. You can do all of this yourswelf and not pay the dealer a dime.

P.S. Vas, if you are going to keep the PCIII on there, I reccomend you remove the O2's completely and plug the pipes. There is no point in letting a pair of good o2 sensors go bad just for a ride along.
OOPS ! My bad, I honestly read the post, but for what ever reason the PC install went in one eye and out the other. I thought that he had the dealer do a stage 1 reflash. Sorry, maybe I'll just stick to the Dyna forum (I'm so embarrassed )

Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

It's cool, I remember one time I was wrong.
What happened was is I thought I was wrong and it turned out I was right. LOL

Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
vascik883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input guys. It just suprised me to see this.

Mopardave - You're right. Wish i had known this before I bouth the pipes and had the stage 1 done. I was looking at another set of pipes, however they didn't come equiped with the 02 bungs. I bought the Marting Bros Medustas simply because they came with o2's (which I thought i needed). Regardless, I'm happy with my pipes but just wouldnt have been my first choice...

Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Well, I don't know if the dealer would be willing to exchange the PCIII for a download or not but you could probably get away with a product form Nightrider that fattens up the mixture.
Keep in mind, there is nothing "wrong" with the PCIII, it just seems like a step backwards in tech. Like I said, I had one on my 05 and it ran great.

Before I had my EFI 05 Nightrain I knew next to nothing about motrcycle EFI. Thanks to this site I now know more than nothing.
A lotta good info on here and if it's wrong, generally, someone will point it out. It's nice to have such a resource.
I found the link for my manual on here for free!

http://allamericanexportsinc.com/pdfs/

Quick Reply: Unplugged O2 Sensors???????