Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind deflectors on heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my 06 Fat Boy and they work great. Personally I'm not a huge fan of how they look but I would have a tough time riding without them.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
showm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to everyone for the replies. i appreciate it.

keno,
we have the typical such and such % off coming up starting the 7th (i think) at one of our local dealers so it may be worth it for me to just pick up a set there at a discount...rather than making you an offer low enough to compensate for shipping and all from arizona - thanks though.

dorkman,
thanks for the link...very informative - i missed that one.

sounds like that should resolve some or most of that buffeting issue. i'll pick up a set of deflectors and maybe try some soft lowers if i feel the need after that.

i had to post this cuz i was actually contemplating buying an ultra (for other reasons as well) but i will tell u what...i dont know about you guys but the heritage is still the most comfortable bike that i sit on.

i've had a night train (no comparison in comfort), a standard glide, and a '90 heritage and the '02 takes the cake. if i can only find a killer low-profile sound system i'd be set.

thanks!!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Chucky944T
Stage III
Default Herritage wind deflectors

I had a 93 Herritage Softail, my first Harley, and never had air blowing in my face. It had wind deflectors on the front forks, probably like what you were looking for, and never had them off. I traded that bike in on an 02 Herritage Springer and the first time out on the road with it, I was mortified with all the stinging to my face from my beard blowing up from the air coming up. The colder weather air sucked by freezing my face. I said to myself, why the heck didn't I have this problem with the other bike and asked some fellow riders if they had that kind of up draft and they all did and then! I remembered how well the air deflectors worked on the forks. Dude, get some...it's worth the money. Thay range in price, JP has them ( I was just looking at them for my wifes 98 Herritage) and Harley has them. 60 to 70 bucks seems to be an average range.
The only thing I regret about my 02 Herritage Springer is that no one makes deflectors that attatch to a springer. If anyone knows of anyone that DOES make them, please let me know!
Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by showm
hey,

i couldn't find the exact answer i was looking for using the search function.

if i spend the money on fork mounted deflectors on my '02 heritage, will that stop the wind coming up under the windshield by the gas tank and blowing in my face?

im looking for answers from anyone who uses or has used these in the past. i dont mind cold weather riding but im about tired of the air on my face from the cold. now air from above or around the side of the windshield does not bother me. i know you guys (and girls) know what im talking about so ill leave it at that.

also, i dont mind wearing a thin under the helmet cold weather mask when its really cold but im talking about even for those 45 degree mornings when the rest of my body is fine except for my face.

any pics of these on bikes would be great, too!!!

thanks in advance

i've recently been contemplating going back to a glide for this reason just to get more air protection but i think it can be solved. thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Chucky944T
Stage III
Default Wind deflectors

I have no idea as to "why" I spelled Heritage with 2 r's....I guess I was tired!! Sorry!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you exactly how they work on my heritage. I just pulled them back off after the winter months and the ride is night and day with buffeting. My lid is now back to being pulled off of my head above 90MPH. If I put my arm across my chest at highway speeds the buffeting and the lid pull are gone so it is all coming from below. When I had the fangs on my ride I didn't get any of this at all.

The problem with Florida is it gets too damn hot in the summer to have anything blocking the air to the engine area. I notice the oil temps rise about 5° with the fangs on. That is fine in the Winter when it runs at 210° but in the summer when it pushes 245° its a bit much for me.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_iFnna1JXY0o/TTxX0fehaCI/AAAAAAAAVx4/6V8o6Ppqpc4/s720/022.JPG[img]
Not a great picture but you get the idea.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing I have on my Road King that I'm not sure is available to the Heritage, is a small air baffle that mounts underneath the triple tree. It deflects the air coming between the fork tubes.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US