Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing saddlebqgs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Cognizant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing saddlebqgs

The only choice for my 06 FXST by HD are over $900 with the support bracket, do good quality bags have to be that expensive?. Is there a big advantage to having the detachable type rather than the throw-overs, other than ease of removal?--I have a Corbin seat w/turnkey detach.
The only aftermarket bags I've looked at are in the J&P catalog, but it's hard to know what kind of quality I'd be getting, and it seems there aren't many choices for the 06 FXST.

Any knowledgable advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Choosing saddlebqgs

One way to actually see the products is to catch them at the rallies at their booth.
I've seen some of the bag makers there.. I'm sure I'll probably do the same when I'm at Myrtle Beach in May with a seat.. You can actually try out the seats on your own scoot with some of the vendors. And with bags, you can see what they offer for styling, detach hardware and pricing... But yeah, I agree.. They're expensive. Check out my gallery.. hard leather fatboy bags from H-D. New what they were when I saw them.. great deal on ebay.. $400 shipped.

Edit 4/19/06.. Looked up the old paypal listing.. $508 shipped.. I braggeth too much but was still a pretty good deal.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For the prices of those bags, I decided to get a sissy bar bag off of ebay. I have a barrel bag attatched to the handle bars for day use, and it block some of the wind like a windshield, without the ugly loks of the windshield which I also have. My sissy bar bag cost $55. It is Jafrum. Never heard of them before, so I hope its not *****.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7153/DF1C6AFCF0D54024811C8C06152C13A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

I'll be making a day trip to the Leesburg bikefest this month, might be some vendors that sell bags there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

When I bought my Corbin "rumble seat" I didn't realize that I now cannot attach a sissy bar or the rear fender luggage carrier. I will definately have to have bags for any overnighters.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had throw overs and all sorts of bolt on after market bags. On my Spinger Classic I decided for the first time to go with HD bags. I do agree that they are pricey but I have to say they fit great and appear to be a quality product. I say appear because I've only had them since last August and the true test will be how they hold up. But so far I have to say if you're able to spend the cash it's worth while. Just my .02. check out http://www.zanottimotors.com. They ship anywhere in the states and discount 20%.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Strutter
Advanced

I just ordered my bags from http://leatherworksinc.com Fortunately for me they are local (Stockton Ca) and I took my bike there to see how they would look. They make an excellent quality bag at a reasonable price with alot of different options. I paid $425 for mine without the Easy Brackets since I already have a set. I prefered to go this way vs. buying off ebay. Ebay is always a crap shoot when it come to the quality of used parts.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

It would also depend on what you want the bags for...if you use them on a daily basis for jacket, chaps, lunch pail, etc. then it's worth getting bags that are fixed/detachable. If it's just the random trip where you need storage, then I use a set of throw-over bags or even a leather duffle that I can bungie cord to the rear fender or seat.
Mine came with the bike, but for the most part they are on the bike when we travel or during the colder months when they are full of my ride leathers.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:41 AM
raycer
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Oldcorps

The only choice for my 06 FXST by HD are over $900 with the support bracket, do good quality bags have to be that expensive?. Is there a big advantage to having the detachable type rather than the throw-overs, other than ease of removal?--I have a Corbin seat w/turnkey detach.
The only aftermarket bags I've looked at are in the J&P catalog, but it's hard to know what kind of quality I'd be getting, and it seems there aren't many choices for the 06 FXST.

Any knowledgable advice would be appreciated.

Forget throw overs. They suck! I bought mine from leather neck jim. I use ghost brackets and am very happy. Check out this link. These are the ones I bought. Very high quality.Good luck.

http://leatherneckjim.safeshopper.com/36/332.htm?328

Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

I disagree with racer. Look around and ask around it pays off. I bought a set of throwovers for $150.00 new at a mom n pop shop in the back woods on Vancouver Island. There are lots of bike shops out there, HD is out to lunch on the pricing and I don't have deep pockets. Had them for five years now. They are usually on the bike all summer and have seen a lot of rain. They still hold there shape as they are a thick stiff leather. My only complaint is I went with the small set and not the larger ones (I call them my bagettes) . The one thing you need to watch for is the rubbing they will do on the swingarm so I put a strip of ducttape on each site, good to go. Works for me.

Here is a pic from last summer, they would be four years old and on the bike all the time. They carry everything from jugs of milk to laundry soap to my laptop and toner cartridges. They get used daily, today it was extra riding gear as I had to pic up the boy at a friends house.

Quick Reply: Choosing saddlebqgs