Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail motor?

i've owned 2 dynas, a sporty, an electra glide and now a softail. I wish I would have bought the softail first before the other bikes because knowing what I know now, I'll never buy another 88B motor. My next bike will again be a dyna.
I've been less than impressed by the 88B to say the least. (the softail chassis is not bad ...unless you compare it to a dyna or dresser) I think the softails have the worst motor and worst chassis in the whole line up. JMHO

Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Kinda glad to see this thread resurrected. Cereiter, your tale isn't the first one I've heard about the gear coming loose. Saw one bike that had the chain let go & destroy the engine.

I always figure that anytime something is done that increases the complication of a device, that simply means there is something added that will fail. I likes the K.I.S.S. principle in almost everything. Too bad it doesn't seem to apply to the women in my life!

Haksaw, comparing the Sloptail frame, designed to give a particular appearance rather than for function, to frames designed for function more than appearance is the ol' apples-oranges thing. Different strokes, an' all that...

Both y'all's criticisms are right on the spot, though. The counter-balanced motor, and the rubber-mounted motors are too complicated for an ol' fart like me. They're reasons I prolly won't buy a new bike, but will rebuild what I've got. Maybe go for a Twinkie motor w/o balancers, chain-cams, or rubber mounts.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did HD fix this prob for the 2006 mods? or is this just all speculating bs.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:54 AM
hawker
Advanced

After reading this I am now worried, hell I have purchased two softails in 8 months, like the bike, hope they hold up. I came close to buying a Road King before the purchase I feel like I may have made a mistake.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The sky is falling..
The sky is falling...

I think it's safe to say that BClem was an alarmist, and full of $hit I might add. It's almost scary how many people bite on a subject like this..It amazes me how many people take for gospel someone who speaks sorta technical, and throws up a few names as references..

Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One last thought about chain tensioners.
Remember when Quaker State oil ran a bad batch and ruined some engines? To this day, people will stay away from QS.
One day to get a bad rep, twenty years to fix it..
My dealer, who is about as straight up as possible told me that Harley admitted a poor chain tensioner design, and has corrected the problem. He will be happy to replace my chain for gears, but he feels the only advantage today is more accurate cam timing.
Having said that, is there ANYBODY who has experienced early tensioner problems on their late model TCs?

As far as the balancers go, I think BClem was unreputable, the way he responded to the first critic was not from a person I would hold respect for..

Old 01-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But Duuuuude, they dont make a springer in a dyna model, GOTTA have the springer.............

Old 01-07-2006, 03:50 PM
thundercat
6th Gear

Well, here is my input , take it as you like. In may of 04 I bought a softail standard, with 3 miles on it it was beefed up to a stage 3 equiv. It now has 20000 on it been serviced twice due for third service. I bought it as a play bike and I drive hard all the time?real hard ( actually bought a new heritage in dec cause the boys in blue new me way to well) Just want to say as of yet I have had no problems( other then im on my 6th back tire.. . and we are talking a bike that also has a higher rev limiter.

I think all rides have gold nuggets and lemons..just hope you bought the gold

Old 01-07-2006, 04:16 PM
nutsy
Tourer

6th tire at 20000 miles,dam how could that be.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:44 AM
thundercat
6th Gear

well..its real easy ...many burn outs and never leave a light without leaving a strip

Quick Reply: Softail motor?