Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Softail motor?

Hey BClem, tell us what you really think about the Twinkie B! Whaddya think about the supposedly non-repairable/replaceable left side bearing?

One thing HD always had going for it was the ability to rebuild even the worst blown-up motor over and over again. Now it seems they are moving into the throw-away realm. Sure makes me appreciate S&S.

Wouldn't mind hearing some more on Feuling. That 3 cylinder he came up with is pretty slick.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:57 AM
howartthou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

You know I don't feel there is anything wrong with the 88b engine,grant it if you want to raise hell you will be better off with the gear drive cam's,but if they were so bad why would they build a 103 inch SE engine in the Fatboy or the Duece. Personally I think I made a good choice,but the decision is your's. This is just my opinion and not trying to step on toe's.[sm=smiley4.gif]
I agree with you on this one Tn. As long as you leave the engine as stock and use a good oil (like the Mobil 1 v-twin supersyn) that can cope with heat in excess of 300 degress I dont anticpate any problems.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:51 PM
silvernblack03
Tourer

my brother has a 03 softtail and he has had it about 1yr and 6months.....he has about 23,000 miles on it now.....he has had no problems with it so far....those are alot of miles in a short time.....he does his own oil changes and makes sure everything is in good shape....he is looking for alot of miles out of this bike.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

BClem

Obviously you know alot more than I do about mechanics (but thats really not that hard considering I am a novice).

But can you explain why all the other bikes in the world have frame mounted counterbalanced engines?

Could it be that Harley has realised that some of the old technology is not really worth holding on to? Like rubber mounted engines?

You give the impression that the 88b is an exception but as far I understand it, it's the rule, and the 88 rubber mount is the exception....

Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Ya gotta understand that we're talking about HD. It doesn't matter what every other manufacturer does; for the most part they make Bic-Bikes - flick 'em awhile, then toss 'em away.

One of the draws of an HD has always been the relative simplicity of the engine. With the Twinkie engine and its chain driven cams, things got less simple. Then throw in a counterbalance assembly, and you travel further down the trail to complexity. Now toss in cast-in main bearing races, and you've got an engine that'll probably end up on the scrap heap instead of being rebuilt forever as the older motors seem to be.

Sometimes progress is good; sometimes it's a two-edged sword.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:32 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

Pococj, I thought you might take this one on

I am interested in quality and therefore a bike that will last a long time. I agree that Harley has to find a balance between technology and simplicity. A carby may be simpler than EFI but I prefer EFI. Engine mounts maybe simpler than counterbalancing but I am not yet convinced that a counterbalance assembly is a concern even in the long term.

I think it even remains to be seen what will happen to a modified 88b in the long term and what the options would be if something did go wrong. I do not agree or disagree that modifying an 88b will cause an unsolvable problem - I really would like to read something about it from the horses mouth...HD, and/or some other expert sources, before I decide.

I cannot just take posting on a forum as gospel (as knowledgable as BClem may be). We are talking about Harleys long term reputation here, not just the difference between engine models.

As for your comment about what other bikes are doing (the BIC bikes), I don't agree. If it didnt matter what they were doing HD wouldnt have EFI or hydraulic forks or air shocks or a host of other technology improvements...I think HD has to move with the times albeit carefully and slowly....at least thats what they seem to be doing to me.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't know everything about the 88b engine's but I heard that hard down shifting could be a problem with the chain drive on the cam's and the bearing change that HD did to save $8 on each engine they build but after talking to several dealer's I have not found one who has problem's with the 88b engine. This engine has been around for 4 yrs. now and I no no one who has blew one up,that's not to say it's not happened because it has Im sure but I'LL bet a 88a has exploded also. I've heard from a dealer say that the chain tensioner's are wearing out around 16000 mile's but my dealer said quote(Hell no we haven't had one problem wiyh the tensioner's) un quote,so who do you believe? I took out a 4 yr. warranty so if it break's I'll call them and let HD put in a new engine.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:02 PM
dm_gsxr
Cruiser

I got the 4 year as well and have taken her in for a major repair and a couple of minor ones on warranty. 36k on her and I'm heading to Alaska in June/July

Carl

Old 01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

As for your comment about what other bikes are doing (the BIC bikes), I don't agree. If it didnt matter what they were doing HD wouldnt have EFI or hydraulic forks or air shocks or a host of other technology improvements...I think HD has to move with the times albeit carefully and slowly....at least thats what they seem to be doing to me.
You're quite accurate with your statement. I was in a hurry (work crap!) and should've put it this way: I don't care what other manufacturers do. I want a Harley, and I want that HD to be a 45 degree air cooled v-twin. And I want that HD engine to be simple enough to fix alongside the road, and to be completely rebuildable. And I don't want a buncha chrome plated plastic to "purty" it up.

With every change HD is moving away from what I like. My problem, not their's, except it means I won't be buying a new one. And there aren't enough ol' idjits like me that HD has to worry about it. But if they continue with the trend, and their bikes become no different than the various metric cruisers, it will catch up to them some day.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

I got the 4 year as well and have taken her in for a major repair and a couple of minor ones on warranty. 36k on her and I'm heading to Alaska in June/July

Carl
I know anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove anything, but it does make interesting reading. My '78 FLH went 125k miles before a top end job. Went 200k miles before a bottom end needed done. No trips to dealer for any repairs. My repairs were rejetting the carb to get rid of the farting and stumbling caused by being set up to lean due to increased pressure from the EPA. Everything else was due to normal wear, for cosmetic purposes, or because I like to tinker: Primary belt drive, clutch, moved rear shock mounts on swingarm, completely rewired, changed carb (3 times), replaced advance mechanism (normal wear), wheel bearings, neck bearings, swingarm bearings, solid lifters, seats (4 of 'em), paint.

My '87 FLST has 100k miles on it. Only repairs have been due to previous owner's neglect/mistreatment: Clutch, wheel bearings, neck bearings, the base gaskets, wrong head bolts.

All in all, I can't complain. BTW, the '78 is still on the road with over 300k miles on it. I don't see this happening on a regular basis with a motor that has engineering shortcuts such as cast-in bearing races that are so expensive to repair that its cheaper to throw the cases away and buy new ones.

But I'm an ol' fart, sot in my ways, and see no reason to change. Y'all are just the unlucky sods who get the pleasure of listening to me whine! <VBG>

Quick Reply: Softail motor?