Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:27 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail motor?

Bclem, thanks for the reply. How do you know all these things, are you a service man for harley?

David

Old 10-23-2004, 06:17 AM
BClem
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been associated with Harley Davidson for many years and have riden their machines since I was a kid (a hell of a long time ago). I have an older brother that is in the Harley Davidson business; he's the one that relates most of this HD 'news' to me.

BClem

Old 10-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Clem!! Your info is awesome.

I was talking to the srevice manager at my dearler. He was basically saying the same thing as you clem. The Vtwin in my Heritage should give me a lifetime of service, with regular maintenece, as long as I don't go past a stage 2 kit. He said once you really start to get her spinning with some engine mods, the potential for problems begin. I feel very comfortable with mine, because I don't plane on doing any engine mods...

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 10-23-2004, 04:52 PM
BClem
Banned

The '88' was designed by an engineer named James Fueling. He worked in the automotive industry for the most part but was brilliant in a practical sense about engines and their mechanism. He engineered a means for the V twin to reduce the angularity of the valve train including the roller tappets, pushrods and rocker shafts. The design was for the cams to be linked together with a roller chain and then driven as an assembly from the pinion shaft. His inovative design also included an enclosed oil and scavenge pump, the unit assembly of the engine and transmission and totally reconfigured heads without the hemispherical chamber that Harley Davidson always utilized.

Jim Fueling died about three years ago after realizing many success with his endeavors including the design of the twin cam V twin that Harley Davidson adopted for a new series of motorcycles.

I will put more together for you if you are interested in Jim Fueling.

BClem

Old 10-25-2004, 07:23 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

Thanks for the updates and once again letting me consider the Softail models

hb

Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the great info!!!

Ryan

Old 12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
yahmon
Novice

hey harleybiker,
Just joined the forum and read your post.
The '99, 2000, and early 01 TC88B motors did have cam bearing issues.
The '02 and later TC88B have resolved the problem, but all still have the chain driven cams and tensioner shoes that can be a problem. The tensioner shoes can wear out anytime, then you have problems. I just upgraded to s&s gear drive with andrews 37G cams on my '02FXSTB with TC88B motor, and am pulling 87 ft/lbs of torque and 80 hp dyno tested with carb (200 main jet) and standard ignition and Samson Street Sweeper exhaust. Runs like a different bike. Now have 30000 miles on it, and do not worry any more about tensioner shoe failure. The TC88's do run hotter as the heads are restrictive in exhaust. A good oil cooler, and reg. oil change- no worries!

Old 12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
hdmd88
Stage IV

BULL

Old 12-28-2004, 07:48 PM
BClem
Banned

ORIGINAL: hdmd88

BULL
And you are a steaming pile yourself too! Take your sarcastic bad manners someplace else, but then you have probably already been run off all the forums you crap on.

And DO NOT give me another of your trashy messages, you **** head. Got it?

Old 12-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

You know I don't feel there is anything wrong with the 88b engine,grant it if you want to raise hell you will be better off with the gear drive cam's,but if they were so bad why would they build a 103 inch SE engine in the Fatboy or the Duece. Personally I think I made a good choice,but the decision is your's. This is just my opinion and not trying to step on toe's.[sm=smiley4.gif]

Quick Reply: Softail motor?