Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front lowering kit is necessary now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front lowering kit is necessary now...

With the combination fo the fishtails, and the 21" front wheel I was scraping a bit in the twisties today. So I am going to ahve to lower my front end. I guess 2" would be ideal. I know about the progressive kit. What other kits are there and which one should I use? I am going to do the labor myself. If you have done this give me an idea of how long this takes. Thanks...Links for the kits would rock too.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done a softail but I lowered a couple of Steet Glides. The Progressive kit seemed to have more adjustment for different heights. Takes me about 3 hours but I'm dealing with the faring to get the front end off. Did a RK but it wasn't much faster.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Guess I'm missing something here. Scraping what in the twisties? If you're scraping muttersickle parts in the twisties, lowering the front end means you'll be scraping more junk off. If you mean you're scraping the ends of the fishtails, lowering the front end will raise the 'tails a wee bit, but you'll probably drag other stuff. Best bet is to whack the head pipes a bit and shorten the fishtails. Been there, done that.

Last edited by pococj; 01-01-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Completed a thought! (Don't laugh, azzhat!)
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Guess I'm missing something here. Scraping what in the twisties? If you're scraping muttersickle parts in the twisties, lowering the front end means you'll be scraping more junk off.
Lowering the front end will raise the rear end/tail pipes. Giving it a better center of gravity. When he installed the 21 inch front tire/wheel, it raises the front end about 2 inches.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking for the same thing for a couple of days. Nothing yet, other than HD kit. Hope someone can help us out .

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
anubisss
Banned

Originally Posted by pococj
Guess I'm missing something here. Scraping what in the twisties? If you're scraping muttersickle parts in the twisties, lowering the front end means you'll be scraping more junk off. If you mean you're scraping the ends of the fishtails, lowering the front end will raise the 'tails a wee bit, but you'll probably drag other stuff. Best bet is to whack the head pipes a bit and shorten the fishtails. Been there, done that.
I already have the short fishtails. I like the length they are. Guess you are saying that it really won't amke much of a difference and then my floorboards would scrape a lot easier. Hadn't thought about that. Hmmm...Maybe jsut leave it be then.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowering the front of your bike will put things close to where they were when you had your 16" front wheel. 21-16= 5 /2 (wheel is round after all) =2.5 so you actually should be .5 inches higher than stock in the front end. It is possilbe you may scrape your floorboards more, but hell there on a hinge and designed to fold up. Lower it and youll be fine.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Chris - Gotta figure in the differences between tire profiles, not just wheel size.

Anu - Lookin' at a coupla pics in your album it appears you've slammed the rear. Do you ride with it lowered any?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Arlen ness makes a front lowering kit for cheap and its easy to do. It lowers it approx. 2"

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
anubisss
Banned

I have an air ride. I don't ride it like that in the canyons. I raise up...

Quick Reply: Front lowering kit is necessary now...