Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to have cam chain tensioners replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
That's good info Geore C, I am trying to make the decisionon gear drive or staying with the chains. I also considered switching to the 07 and Newer hydraulic/roller setup. Thanks for more info.

anubisss, I think the 02 models still had the forged crank so runout may not be as much of an issue for you.

Warg,
I wouldn't think twice about staying with the stock set up.
The 06's are a little different from everything else. Unless you have your heart set on something other than a SE cam, or add a TON of miles every year, I would just stay with what you have. it's a lot cheaper to do and saving money is a plus these days.
Like I said before, I can't recommend the SE 204 cam enough. I wish you could ride my bike to see.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
Warg,
I wouldn't think twice about staying with the stock set up.
The 06's are a little different from everything else. Unless you have your heart set on something other than a SE cam, or add a TON of miles every year, I would just stay with what you have. it's a lot cheaper to do and saving money is a plus these days.
Like I said before, I can't recommend the SE 204 cam enough. I wish you could ride my bike to see.
Thanks, George. I am stil trying to decide on engine build components. It will be a while due to money, but the build will definately be budget conscious. I have heard good things about the 204 and have not ruled that out. Did you use all SE components on your build? What kit did you use and did you do headwork, increase compression, etc?

I am considering having my stock cylinders bored, getting my stock heads reworked, and then droping a higher performance cam (i.e. SE 204, Andrews 37, Woods TW-6). Honestly I would rather stay with the chains, but the reliability issue has made me think twice. You info on the 06 models really helps.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine while it was brand new.
I bought it in November and it stayed at the dealer until the work was done in March.
First I sent the jugs, heads and other engine hardware out for diamond cutting. When they came back, we sent them out locally to be bored. My dealer has a performance guy on staff, and he did the heads.
If you go with the 204, you want to stick with the flat tops in a 95" build. The 204 raises static compression very high, so you want to stay with 9.4 to 1 ratio from the flat tops or you will be suffering from pinging and hot start problems. The 204 cam is the same as the Andrews 37B, but it's advanced 4 degrees to keep low end power strong.
My bike runs flawlessly. Never pings and has killer power down low, all the way up to 4,800 rpm. Great gas mileage and is loud as hell from the cam.
Reliability isn't a problem with the tensioners in an 06'. I read here all the time about 30k+ mileage and the shoes still look new. The older ones? Yeah, not enough lubrication on the shoes, but not with the 06' models.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to have my jugs and heads diamond cut as well, may as well do it when it's all apart.

Thanks for the info. I don't really trust any of the dealers here locally so I may have to look out of town for a builder. I will probably send my cylinders and heads out for work, and then find someone to assemble the finished parts.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
salty01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the S&S510G done on my 06 SG and said What the heck..bored the jugs and did the pistons to a 95" also with new lifters BTW.

Allready running the PCIII with stage 1 when this one done. Unfortunetly our CDN prices are Higher

go for it ..nice difference and dependability to boot!
Cheers!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it Ok to pull the Camplate and replace the tensioners with out replacing the bearings? I don't have a bearing puller and don't want to get one. Also do you have to replace the pushrods with the adjustables or is there a way to keep the lifters up out of the way while you pull the cam plate.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
Is it Ok to pull the Camplate and replace the tensioners with out replacing the bearings? I don't have a bearing puller and don't want to get one. Also do you have to replace the pushrods with the adjustables or is there a way to keep the lifters up out of the way while you pull the cam plate.
Yes, if it's just the tensioner shoes you're replacing you're fine. The tensioners can be replaced without having to remove the cams from the cam plate.
H-D comes with one-piece lifters that can't be removed in one piece unless you take the heads off. When you pull the cam plate the cams come with it and the lifters will drop into the cam chest area. Most people upgrade with adjustable pushrods for the convienance. And later on, if you want to do your cams, then you just remove the pushrods, replace cams and lifters, re-adjust pushrods and you're done.
The bearings in the cam plate are easy enough to replace...just heat up the cam plate either on a hot plate or with a torch until the bearings fall out...only takes a few minutes. Re-installing the cams is more of a job. I didn't bother replacing the bearings that are in the case.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Scurvy Jack
Yes, if it's just the tensioner shoes you're replacing you're fine. The tensioners can be replaced without having to remove the cams from the cam plate.
H-D comes with one-piece lifters that can't be removed in one piece unless you take the heads off. When you pull the cam plate the cams come with it and the lifters will drop into the cam chest area. Most people upgrade with adjustable pushrods for the convienance. And later on, if you want to do your cams, then you just remove the pushrods, replace cams and lifters, re-adjust pushrods and you're done.
The bearings in the cam plate are easy enough to replace...just heat up the cam plate either on a hot plate or with a torch until the bearings fall out...only takes a few minutes. Re-installing the cams is more of a job. I didn't bother replacing the bearings that are in the case.
Man is that jut great news !!! I just got laid off and cannot free up funds to take it in but am a pretty fair mechanic. So a couple questions..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

oops question one..... I do not have to remove the heads if I do not have adjustable pushrods ?? I can just put the lifters and pushrods back in their proper place when re-installing the cam plate ??? Number two..... no removal of the oil pump ??

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Scurvy Jack
Looks like this thread got a bit derailed...

Anyway, I have my cam plate sitting right in front of me with new cams and bearings installed (installing cams myself with no special tools). Are you sure about not having to remove the cams in order to replace the inner tensioner?

Quick Reply: Cost to have cam chain tensioners replaced?