Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting conflicting information, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Beerninja
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting conflicting information, please help...

I have done a forums search and have found some conflicting information about replacing the rear brake pads.

I have a 2002 Fatboy. I am trying to find out if in order to replace the rear brake pads do you have to take off the rear wheel?

It seems that half the people are saying yes you do and the other half are saying no you don't.

My manual should be here in a couple of days but from what I understand it says you need to, I also talked to a couple of shops and one of them said that he has never taken the rear wheel off to replace pads.

If I can do it without taking the rear wheel off I will do it at home, otherwise I have to spring for someone to do it since I don't have the manual nor the experience to try and take the wheel off myself (let alone the tools Yet)

I thank you all in advance for taking a look and helping me out.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced the rear pads in my duece and my ultra and didn't have to remove the rear wheel. When you buy the pads, they come with instructions. Just follow them.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I just replaced the rear pads on my 2002 heritage... you don't have to take off the rear wheel...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto,

You do not need to remove the wheel to replace the pads. Use a stick or other tool to push the pads back against the caliper and then remove the two pins. (1/2 12 point bolts) Pads should fall out the bottom. Note which pad is on the inside and outside they are different.

When you replace with new pads give the discs a light sanding with scotch pad or sand paper. This will remove brake residue from old pads and help the new ones set up properly. Also try to clean the calipers with brakekleen prior to replacing the pads.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Default Brake Pads

You do not have to remove your wheel. When reinstalling pads, you will have to make sure that the piston on the caliper is fully retracted (pushed in) or you wont be able to get the caliper and thicker pads back over the rotor. Make sure that your thoroughly clean the pins - sand off any grime with like 400 emery and clean all parts up with a brake cleaner including the rotors as this will take the oil and grime off the metal surfaces. The pads slide on these pins as the piston moves the caliper. Pay attention to specific pad break in procedures.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I find it easier to replace them with the wheel off, but it is not necessary...I usually replace them when getting new tires.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need to remove tire

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Beerninja
Tourer

Sweet thank you all for the replys. One more question I am sure this is a total newb question but as far as the caliper goes I do not have to torque anything down right? I will have my manual on thursday or friday but there is a chance I might do the job tomorrow since not being able to ride at all is no fun.

Again thank you all for the replys

Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

no you can do it with wheel on bike.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

The only critical thing you have to do it make sure that you have/buy a 1/4" 12 point socket to remove the pins. Anything less will, I repeat will, strip them and that would be a PIA!!!

Quick Reply: Getting conflicting information, please help...