Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I need loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:42 PM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on how radical you want to go. I am running Ground pounders on my chopper. They run about $350 and will get you notice for sure. (may be illegal in your state) I have been cut off a couple times on the RK, but have never been cut off on the chopper.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:54 PM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want loud, check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ten7DLjPlw

Taken with a digital camera much louder in person. No Baffles. I found them on ebay for $125.00.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:57 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by maskedstranger
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Depends on how radical you want to go. I am running Ground pounders on my chopper. They run about $350 and will get you notice for sure.
+1 If you really want loud pipes go for the Sampson Ground Pounders or Rip Saws. I had a set on my bike when I bought it and I thought they were insane. The neighbors hated me, babies cried when I went by, I set off car alarms too. They are rediculous but loud.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:01 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

these R Samson Street Sweepers...........CHOPPED

Old 12-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with dennyo, those pipes are very loud, I rode behind a guy with them and couldn't hear mine running. If you want loud get them.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To make sure you are heard, I would suggest a few things;
1) Study up on mythology and understand what it is.
2) Study up on sound and physics
3) Sit in your cage in a left turn lane, and listen to a Harley with loud pipes approaching. You should be able to hear it when it gets just about alongside you.
4) Check out some wrecked emergency vehicles and ponder how someone managed to not see or hear them with all those flashing lights and sirens.
5) If after all that, you still think sound is going to help you, get a trailer hitch on your bike and the biggest trailer you can pull. Get some generators and a PA setup similar to what Ted Nugent might use when playing a huge outdoor stadium. Buy a setup equal to 4 times that, mount the speakers up high and facing forward and place the mic's near the ends of your tail pipes.

OR... find some pipes that you think sound good (I like V&H myself), put them on your bike, and enjoy them.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:02 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True about the emergency vehicles, but how many?

I did a test.
With the stock pipes on my 01 Heritage I rode back & forth to work on rt128 in Boston for 2weeks
One of the worst highways in the country.

I was Ignored & cut off at least 3-4 times each way. After I got my inspection sticker I put on my cycle shack straight pipes with anti reversionary cones and wola!!

I was noticed at least 80% more, not to say that I wasn’t still cut off but it was far less & sometimes not at all
the only difference the pipes made was the people in cars heard something around them and it made MOST look.

Of course there was the occasional cage with a radio louder than my bike on the phone texting with his windows up & a/c on while smoking a bone and talking to his friends but hey you got to watch out for them anyways.

How many times some one scare you when they are behind you and you don't see them what if they walked behind you yelling Broom Broom?

I have V&H Big rodious on my rocker (like everyone else I know, I know!!!)

They sound great & loud enough to be heard without annoying everyone they bounce off the ground spreading the joy of the rumble!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 5speedblu
True about the emergency vehicles, but how many?
Not sure I understand the question. How many emergency vehicles are involved in accidents while running with their lights & sirens on?

Not sure. Did a quick Google search. Didn't see national statistics in my cursory look, but, as an example;
- Massachusetts, in 2005 - 560 in one year.
- LA County, 2008 - 108
- NYC stays pretty steady at about 400 accidents per year - just for ambulances that are on an emergency call.

... so, safe to estimate it happens daily around the country, thousands of times per year.

I did a test.
Rather unscientific. You tested in different conditions, with different drivers, and you made assumptions about them hearing you, rather than asking them.

I completely understand why, but, I'm just pointing out that your test lacks merit. By way of comparison, I used to ride a very quite Honda Nighthawk to and from work, and during work, I drove a very big, rather loud, truck. I was cut off, and had cars turn in front of me, far more often in the truck than on the bike - which would seem to indicate smaller and quieter gets you noticed more often, right?

As I suggested, it's all about how sound travels. Stand behind your bike and listen to it - have someone rev the motor a bit too. Now sit on it and do the same. The difference of a foot or so, and where you are in relation to the sound source makes a significant difference. Pay attention next time you're riding with someone else on a bike, and notice how you really don't hear them at all unless they are in front of you, or right next to you.

Bottom line is, "Loud pipes save lives" is a myth. At best, if a car is right next to you, and starts moving into your lane, revving your engine might get their attention - but, likewise, hitting your horn button might have the same effect, as might waving your hand.

Like I said - buy the pipes you like because you like them, not because you think they will prevent you from being in a accident. If you count on the latter, you are likely to be very disappointed.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 AM
sledhead140
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the longshots from vance and hines sound is perfect

Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd definately like to hear the Sampson ground pounders and the Ripsaws but
in the end I don't want my neighbors to hate me so I'll probably go with my
original plan and that it V&H BS Staggered...

which if I'm not mistaken is louder than stock right?

Quick Reply: Help! I need loud pipes