Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need brighter lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need brighter lights

any recomendations for a whiter, brighter headlight and passing lights for a 2007 heritage classic. the stock lights just seem to dim.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

See if your local auto parts dealer stocks Sylvania Silverstars, there a bit more expensive than regular bulbs.
But they do put out more/better light without overloading the wiring in your bike.
I use them in both my bike and truck and have for a long time now.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on silverstars, put one in and big change, I can see where I'm going at night,good thing

Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some Sylvania Silverstars at wal-mart. they burned out in a month. I think they are not for motorcycles. I got the Harley bright ones and they are almost as bright but have lasted a while. The big difference was the head lamp. My Harley head lamp was getting frosted so I got a bosh head lamp. They are $40 new and I got mine for $20 used from a local chopper shop. The lens is on the glass and the reflector is all glass. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Had Good Luck with PIAA... But lots of alternatives..

Old 12-23-2008, 07:20 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

tk353,
That's an interesting article you found. The only problem is I don't believe that I have ever seen a Bosh bulb stocked in any of the local or even big chain auto parts stores.
The other thing is that in all the years I have been using Silverstar bulbs in my trucks and cars. I can't remember ever having one burn out in under two or three years.
I generally average over 60K miles a year with a lot of it at night so the odds are that I should have cooked a bunch.
The one in my bike has been in there since, day two maybe, I got the bike and its still operating perfectly two years later.
If I have a 'problem' with it its that the stock bucket's mounting is kind of 'soft' and its far too easy to knock it spoiling its aim. I solved that by looking in the manual to find out how to aim it properly and used a little paint to mark the ground and the dimly lit back wall of a light colored building in a nearby shopping plaza.
Anytime I think it may be off all I have to do is park on the paint spot and see where the light hits the wall. Takes all of about 30 seconds to do once you have the markings up.

PS You need to get the H4 bulbs for a bike. There is a 9000 version that will fit, (can't remember what one it is right now) but its filiment not reinforced for the vibration of a bike. So it may be that you got one of those and it couldn't handle the bumpy ride your bike gave it.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 12-23-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:22 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default tested Bosh

I personally tested Bosh and Adjure headlamps (the silver & glass thing) side by side under controlled conditions. The Bosh lamp was poor in performance side by side. The length of the pattern came up way short. I believe the clear stock Harley may do as good as a job as Adjure but have not tested them (HD lamps) to know for sure. IMO and in my side by side tests the Bosh should only illuminate the trash can. Anyone is welcome to duplicate this & post their findings.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:51 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bosh head lamp uses the standard bulb from harley

Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 AM
BERRYP
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a PIAA bulb in my 07 heritage classic. It was not cheap but it's like day and night. I would recomened this bulb had in the bike for a year and half no problem.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about going with an HID retrofit. It actually is brighter than just some colored overpriced halogen bulb.

Quick Reply: need brighter lights