Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail-Sheep !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008 | 03:23 PM
Virgil Cain
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mopardave
I like this one. Still pricey though...

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/e...Rocket_Smo.htm

Old 12-22-2008 | 12:18 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Form follows function. Custom by crunch.

WHy on earth would anyone want to buy a 300 dollar tail lamp, only to back into something and crack the lens, to pay another 300 bux because now he can't get just the lens? I mean, if you have money to burn, fine. BNut me? I do what I need to in order to make it functional. I love the way it handles now, I trust it. I paid about 70 bux for the risers total. Still using the stock brake line, although I have a bandana tied around it now so it won't get caught in the steering stops.

Yeah, I buy mass produced things in the store. Mainly, becuase they're cheaper. My next mod is billet grips because the rubber ones flex at the ends, and I hate that. Other than that, my turn signal module burned out, so I had to take it out, and now, only have a taillight in the rear. So next time, I am going to get some front signals for the rear, and wire them in to use dual filaments. I already have the red lenses.

Besides, I just traded my 2005 Hyundai for a 2008 jeep. Talk about mandatory stuff. The list never ends if you want to go off road with it. And that it still without touching the basic design.

The Buell needs a battery, and servicing. The Harley is coming due for service, and will need tires. Customizing is great if you have a lot of extra bread. I just spent almost a month out of work due to gall bladder surgery, but have recovered great. The doc said that puppy was pretty nasty when he pulled it out, so right now, I am playing catch up. Next month should be better.

What difference does it make if the mirrors are 100 dollars apiece? I can get a set of stockers from some guy who did that for cheap, although right now I don't need them. I covered the stock levers with leather. They are perfect that way, and the leather was 10 bux. Will I ever customize it further? Maybe. But I'd rather spend my bread on stuff it needs, instead of stuff I think it would look better with.

JMO. YMMV.

Old 12-22-2008 | 02:24 AM
hogdiver96
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Virgil Cain
That would be great if you have it. Thanks.
her ya go.....69851-06 Harley bullet headlamp kit , quite expensive but is very well made.!

Old 12-22-2008 | 08:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

hogdiver,
I think part of the 'problem' of guys screwing around with a torch and hacksaw on a Softy is in large part due to the fact that we got a bike that was very nearly identical to what we ultimately wanted to begin with.

There's just not all that much incentive to play with the Sawzall if there is nothing that 'really' needs cutting. As well as the simple fact that if you want to 'change' something on your Softy the odds are that someone, somewhere has exactly (or near enough as makes little or no difference) what you want on their shelf already.

Expensive as Harley parts are, good quality aftermarket parts for Softails are relatively easy to find. As well as being far better made than most of us have the time, talent, or equipment/tools to do at home.

Little parts, sure. Lots of us whip small items off on our work bench all the time. But for the bigger items. Its a hell of a lot easier, smarter, and cheaper (in riding time?) to just look through all the parts catalogs and web sites.

Odds are that sooner or later you'll find what you want/need and even if you can't. Posting a message here asking about it will often get you half a dozen or more credible answers telling you how to do something or directing you to a like number of places to look. inside a couple of hours.

So no I don't think we're sheep. Were smarter than that, we know how to read catalogs and surf the web to save time (and often money) for more important things, like ride time.

Old 12-22-2008 | 09:08 AM
hogdiver96
|
Road Warrior
Smile

Gawd thats me told off again !!
Thread must have been quite interesting though as had 1800 visits.
Seriously though since posting this the bikes have been coming out the woodwork lately (might be the weather).
had some interesting views and opinions and not a thread like..."should i talk to a suzuki rider or not"
Citroplus i think you do yourself a diservice when you say you havnt the talent, you have done some great stuff, more than i can do.
Seen some cracking bikes thru this thread "***** p,s" comes to mind and that guys who got whacked up the **** by a truck amongst others..

How about a vote for "Softail of the year"

Old 12-22-2008 | 10:05 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
Gawd thats me told off again !!
Citroplus i think you do yourself a disservice when you say you haven't the talent, you have done some great stuff, more than i can do.
I 'hope' your trying to be funny. It was not my intent to 'tell you off'.
I just stated what I believe to be a fact. We don't try screwing around all that much because we got just about what we wanted to begin with. Everything else is 'trim' parts.

As for me 'doing great stuff', I beg to differ. I seriously doubt that I have done anything that anyone else could not have, and probably has done just as well or better.

Old 12-22-2008 | 11:44 AM
dion140981
Intermediate
Default mostly bolt on, but some chopping

alot of bolt on stuff and parts swaps, but definatly some mods to stock and aftermarket parts

Old 12-22-2008 | 01:37 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

I like!

Old 12-22-2008 | 08:03 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
Why screw around with perfection?
Saith the guy with every piece of bolt-on chrome doo-dad available!