Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar Expert Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle bar Expert Needed.

My wife has an 07 Heritage. The handle bars have been lowered pretty much but she has a pain in her shoulder after riding a good little bit.

I am considering changing the handlebars to something more along the touring model line instead of the ape hanger style.

I was hoping someone here has had some experience in selecting a good handle bar. I have looked at other brands but unsure where to seek knowledgeable advise.

Thank you.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My SE Fat Boy came stock, with the narrow beach bars. I find them very comfortable. They should be a lot more relaxing for her shoulders.
Tom

Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Thanks, By the way your bike looks great... very nice.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you change them out try moving the stock bars to different positions. I recently moved mine forward a couple inches and it made a huge difference in the feel. She might need hers moved a little closer or farther away to help.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

She is pretty short and her reach is limited inorder for her feel comfortable. She moved them back because that felt better but I think they are too high.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
jneubig
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to look at the Wild One bars. I am vertically challenged (5'7") and had installed Heritage bars on my Fatboy. I couldn't get them to a comfortable position. I installed the Chubby WO508 and could not be happier. Did a 6 hour run this past weekend and felt great after.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Go to the dealership and have her sit on the different bikes. Also, hang out at dealership on weekends when people meet up to ride and ask politely to try the bars. Reading bar stats and imagining how they would feel is not easy for everyone - myself included Also, Fatboy, Wide Glide, Heritage bars... can be had for $50 at dealership. Not a huge loss of they dont work out.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Go to the dealership and have her sit on the different bikes. Also, hang out at dealership on weekends when people meet up to ride and ask politely to try the bars. Reading bar stats and imagining how they would feel is not easy for everyone - myself included Also, Fatboy, Wide Glide, Heritage bars... can be had for $50 at dealership. Not a huge loss of they dont work out.

You are so right. I have read the P&A book over and over. I have concerns about getting everything right so they will be safe. Do all softail
bars fit each other?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Have you checked out mini apes? They move the arms in just a little so the reach isn't so far and the hands turn in a little so the elbows arn't up so high. I don't have them but I have short friends who love em. Look at the 09 Heritage bars.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
You are so right. I have read the P&A book over and over. I have concerns about getting everything right so they will be safe. Do all softail
bars fit each other?
No, Springer Bars are unique as the risers are set a little further apart. In addition smaller bars could mean changing Brakelines, Clutch Cables, Throttle/Idle Cables. I am swaping out my 'apes' for drag bars and need to change out all my cables.

Quick Reply: Handle bar Expert Needed.