Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar Expert Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
You are so right. I have read the P&A book over and over. I have concerns about getting everything right so they will be safe. Do all softail
bars fit each other?
The 1" Wide Glide (pre 2007 I believe), 1" Fatboy and 1" Heritage are definitely interchangeable with no cable or electrical mods needed. Just today I finished adding Heritage bars to my Fatboy. Needed something taller and less pull back but did not want to spend money on cables and brake lines or $200 for bars. Also, other 1" bars will apply, just dont know which ones. A good dealership parts guy can help you out.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 AM
TheNotchDeux
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jneubig
You may want to look at the Wild One bars. I am vertically challenged (5'7") and had installed Heritage bars on my Fatboy. I couldn't get them to a comfortable position. I installed the Chubby WO508 and could not be happier. Did a 6 hour run this past weekend and felt great after.
I had 508's on my Fatboy as well, loved them. Definitely ended my back pain. However, I've gone to apes and a backrest, so there getting ready to go on eBay.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wild One chubby 504's may help. very good bar...

Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

KumaRide said exactly what I did and it worked out very well for me. Found a guy with the same bars I have now and politely asked if it was OK to 'try' them out. They were far too expensive to just get them and see, but it only took a second or so on his bike to see they would address the issues I needed addressed.

I'm a short **** with circulation/nerve damage in my right arm and even with the stock mini apes tipped back three or four inches they were killing me after as little as 25 or 30 miles.
So take his advise and see what's on other peoples bikes before you take the plunge into new bars.

You may also want to check out getting the seat modded to fit her smaller stature better. Someone like www.meancitycycles.com can fix the stock seat to move her up and forward to get her a little closer to the bars as well get more comfortable, better fitting padding for her butt in the bargain. Its also a lot easier/cheaper/faster to mod the seat than it is to change out the bars and cables.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

We have had the seat modified for her and did exactly what you suggested.
They shaved the seat foam down 2 Inches then added a 1 inch gel pack. They also narrowed the the sides. Then they added padding to the back of the seat to move her forward about 2 inches.
With the addition of lowering the bike itself, she loves the seat, not only can she stand flat footed but when she gets on the throttle she no longer slides backward upon acceleration.
Just need to find handlebars that are a little more comfortable. Planning on a trip to Yellowstone and back in the summer of 2010 and when she is happy I am happy.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM
wheely
Tourer

I have an 05 Deluxe that I put Harley mini apes on......they are 34" wide which is a little wide for me. I just bought a set of Khrome Werks model 300504. I don't have them on yet, but I think I'm going to like them. I'm going to use them with a set a Deluxe pullback risers. You can check'm out at khromewerks.com. Also if you have the $$$, go to helibars.com and check their adjustable bars out. I think these are cool and definitely different. But rather costly. Good Luck. Khrome werks also has a set of extended heritage bars. You might try adding risers too.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

We have had the seat modified for her and did exactly what you suggested.
Who did you get to do the work and how much did it cost? Being a bit on the vertically challenged side I'm in the market for getting the same mods done to my seat, maybe this winter, and am looking around for a reputable place to do it for a reasonable price.
Planning on a trip to Yellowstone and back in the summer of 2010 and when she is happy I am happy.
Then there's always Jeff Foxworthy's saying that "if she's not happy long enough, your not going to be happy with only half your stuff."

Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
You may also want to check out getting the seat modded to fit her smaller stature better. Someone like www.meancitycycles.com can fix the stock seat to move her up and forward to get her a little closer to the bars as well get more comfortable, better fitting padding for her butt in the bargain. Its also a lot easier/cheaper/faster to mod the seat than it is to change out the bars and cables.
Very good suggestion here. As the stock Heritage seat sits you back pretty far.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

I was over in Syracuse yesterday and any time I'm there I always stop at the dealer if possible, just to see what's around. They always have a big selection of bikes and if I need anything the parts guys are very helpful.
Anyway they had several new XBones, but one had been modded with new pipes, paint and new handlebars. It was nicely done but the bars were of particular interest as they were very low an came back a lot farther than usual. I didn't think to ask what bars they were at the time. But I believe that they were black HD beach bars.
If they make them in chrome I think they might be just what your wife needs.
I'll try to give them a call today and see if I can get the chrome version of the bar's part number for you.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
I was over in Syracuse yesterday and any time I'm there I always stop at the dealer if possible, just to see what's around. They always have a big selection of bikes and if I need anything the parts guys are very helpful.
Anyway they had several new XBones, but one had been modded with new pipes, paint and new handlebars. It was nicely done but the bars were of particular interest as they were very low an came back a lot farther than usual. I didn't think to ask what bars they were at the time. But I believe that they were black HD beach bars.
If they make them in chrome I think they might be just what your wife needs.
I'll try to give them a call today and see if I can get the chrome version of the bar's part number for you.
Jims Custom trim Shop in Martinvilles Indiana did the seat for her.
It was $300.00. She rode the bike over to them and they had her sit on it an marked the exsiting seat. They then removed the cover and did the work.
I liked the fact that it looks the same as it did stock.

I am going to my Harley dealer today and discuss the handle bar issue with them. I too think the narrow Beach Bar looks like it may work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.....

Quick Reply: Handle bar Expert Needed.