Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1" belt durability

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
chazzy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" belt durability

I'm curious....now that I got rid of my 02 Roadstar (all hopped up with 108" big bore and a sh#t load of performance ad ons and 1 1/2" belt), and now have my first Harley, how durable is the new 1" belt as far as strength from hot rodding of the start? I got so use to the 1 1/2" belt from the roadstar that was able to handle all the power and torque, I'm just wondering if I run into some guy at a stop light that wants his *** handed to him, will my 1" belt handle that type of "dead stop take off" especially with a 200mm tire? I need to be reassured from you guys whether of not the belt will break or not. I"m not saying that I'm going to be hot rodding of the start at every single stop light, but I just want to know if I can rely on the belt not breaking if I ever hot rod from a dead stop. Thanks guys

Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

I dont think that it will break but one of my buddies I ride with knocked a couple large sections of teeth off his night train with 4000 miles on it. It was a stock motor. Mostly from doing rolling 1st gear burnouts.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

LOL you should have stuck with the Yamaha. Drag Racing and Harley just don't go together IMO.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The new 1" belt is "supposed" to actually stronger than the older wide belt. But it is still a rubber belt and if you get really agressinve with it, you are going to break things eventually.
The best wat to avoid catestrophic failure is not to get truely stupid with it. However as that's kind of a non-starter for most of us. I mean we are bike riders after all.
I would suggest you just inspect it regularly and if it begins to show an fraying, cracking, or abnormal wear signs, replace it.
Nomally a belt will begin to show signs of cracking before it actually breaks, but its not a foolproof way to tell.
Under normal use, with an occasion extension into insanity, I believe that the lifespan should be well in excess of 40,000 miles.
After all they use the same kind of belt to drive the cams in car engines and expect to, and do get over a 100,000 miles in what would have to be considered a far more hostile (very hot) environment then they have to endure turning the rear wheel of your bike.

BTW any Harley that used as a serious race bike, ALWAYS has a chain on it.
NOBODY with more than half a brain would trust ANY belt that far.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

I was just thinking about what a pain in the *** it would be to replace the belt if it broke. I'm guessing you would have to remove the rear wheel and primary cover?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

That would be a good, and accurate guess.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Drag Racing and Harley just don't go together IMO." Never been to AHDRA events? 4.2 quarters. The belt was reduced in size from the 1 1/2" because of improvements in the materials. "Normal" riding should yield miles with no problems if properly adjusted.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FACTION95
I was just thinking about what a pain in the *** it would be to replace the belt if it broke. I'm guessing you would have to remove the rear wheel and primary cover?
Worse then that. You have to remove the inner primary chain case too, which means removing the clutch, primary chain and stator. It’s a huge job to replace the rear drive belt.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
rsavage
Tourer

I'm pretty sure that you also have to drop at the swing arm partially.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley's and Drag Racing don't go together??? Me thinks you need to go back to riding your 10 speed. Ever heard of the Destroyer?

Attached Thumbnails 1" belt durability-100_0577.jpg   1" belt durability-100_0585.jpg   1" belt durability-100_0588.jpg   1" belt durability-100_0589.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1" belt durability