Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handicapped bike plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pastor tom my garndpa had 3/4 of a lung and he lived to be 86 & drank hard booze all the time. Keep riding & long life on 2 wheels to ya,
and his son my uncle was legally blind he was totaly blind in 1 eye and could only see when looked left out the other and he rode, every day to work be it only 2 miles he still did it.
He could not get a plate though he couldnt even get a license

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I've seen people on oxygen who qualifiy for a handicapped plate ride Harleys. What's the big deal. I've seen people with hip and knee replacements who qualifiy for a handicapped plate. I'm offended by this thread and I'm not even handicapped (as far as I know-LOL). I'd advise the author to worry more about his disabilities and personal problems instead of picking on some poor "One lunged, cripled blind biker with a handicapped plate."

Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to get the same disability as me, then do 23 years in the Armed forces and all that entails. By the way, I have found disability has many faces, mine is knee and back but I can manhandle my bike with the best of you, still knock someone out and work a 12 hour work day. I just get paid for what happened while on duty. By the way, I don't have those plates either, and I park far away in a parking lot so avoid getting my
Sh*t messed up.
Oh yeah, try typing without the bold black.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I can see where at first glance, one might find it odd to have handicap plates on a bike, as, it would seem, the obvious handicaps - people with mobility issues - would make riding a bike very difficult, if not impossible.

As has been pointed out, in part by a few people who seem to try awfully hard to be offended (because, you are supposed to understand everything about them, but they can't take a moment to try to understand your question), there are handicaps that would not hinder the ability to ride a bike, which do qualify for handicap plates, and, which may additionally involve mobility issues.

Interestingly enough, I know a biker who has exactly the type of handicap you might image would prevent him from riding - he's missing one of his legs. Lost it in a motorcycle wreck no less. ... and he does still ride. He built a modified bike which allows him to use his remaining limbs to work all the controls. Very cool.

So, what at first blush may seem odd (the word you should have used, rather than "amusing", to avoid giving the "I want to be offended" crowd any ammo), actually turns out to not be so much so.

A similar seeming incongruity is the handicap parking spaces near the entrances to huge mega-malls. Given one might see someone parking in one of these spaces, then walking from their vehicle, into the mall, you might wonder how they might manage to walk around this huge mall, if walking from the parking lot is a challenge. I've even heard stand up comics cover this one.

The bottom line is, there are many conditions which have nothing to do with the ability to walk or not walk, as well as conditions where walking is possible, but limited. PT provides one example, having just one lung. My mother was another such example - due to a failing heart & arthritis, she could walk, just not for very long, and not very far.

For those of you working so hard to be offended - you might take a second or two to try to understand the question. You also might take a second to realize "amusing" in a certain context, doesn't necessarily mean "funny", but rather more like "odd", "unusual"...
Yeah... people who don't have to deal with any type of handicap don't always understand what you deal with, and don't see the world through your eyes. If you would like them to understand your position, you'd do well to try to understand theirs as well.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a friend who lost some toes and was handicapped and walked with a crutch and had a plate. It was strange to see him ride with a crutch on the side of the bike like carrying a riffle case. I too was hit by a deer a few weeks ago and I could ride 300 miles as long as I did not stop on the right leg because of the pain and not knowing if it was broke.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Funny post. You guys are too uptight.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as one who has a handicap plate I am not offended.
I can ride just fine 500 plus miles a day just can't walk 100 yrd with out stopping and resting my left leg which I broke racing m/c and it never healed properly..
also my wife who rides with me cannot walk any distance lung problems
we really do have a legit reason for the plate so get over it..
also we are both over 65

Attached Thumbnails Handicapped bike plates-vvccxx.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is a video of a handicapped rider.
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=WL9L49vg_4w

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
07Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts