Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best high-gloss motorcycle polish

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best two polishes I've used are either Zymol or Meguiers....Meguiers is nice because they've got the 3 step process..3 different waxes for an ultimate shine....cleaner wax, polishing and then a final glossy wax....

Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
topefisher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the UK I use AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (SRP) followed by AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection (EGP) followed by a final waxing with Collinite 915. Re-waxing again as required. This is proving to be one of the most durable and cost effective combinations I have ever used to date. The ultimate shine though IMO is no different to a top Meguiars, Chemical Guys, Zaino's etc, finish.

I have used many of the Meguiars products and in particular the NXT2.0 which is also a favourite of mine.

On the UK detailing forums comparison tests have been carried out with Joe public doing the reviewing and judging, using most of the major brands of final waxing already mentioned along with many more.
One such test was carried out on one very large box sided vehicle which had been divided into many sections each being taped off, polished and treated with its own brand of wax.

The general conclusion believe it or not was that just after doing, there was no brand stood out much above the rest with many conflicting favourites from amongst the top brands.

The beading patterns also came into it, but who wants to stand there looking at their paint job in the rain?

A marked difference was noted after looking weeks later where weathering had taken place. Certain products showed more durabilty (longevity) than others.

A key to obtaining the finish desired is like anything else, its in the preperation.
The pre-polishing, the sealing and the waxing all need to marry with one another i.e. the products need to accept/work and not react with each other.
Crossing brands can cause reactions that may not be favourable unless you know what you are doing.
If you like Meguiars, Zaino's, Chemical Guys (another fantastic range), Autoglym, Swissvax, Royale, Raceglaze, Turtlewax or whatever, your are better sticking with them from polish to seal and wax if you are unsure on reactions.

If you do this the durability will be your acid test, not your impression after the final polish, because in reality there will be nothing really visual between any of the top brands.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Crushinator
Cruiser

I've always used Meguiars products and their new NXT was is the best wax (by far) that I've used. For $15 you can't beat it.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
topefisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crushinator
I've always used Meguiars products and their new NXT was is the best wax (by far) that I've used. For $15 you can't beat it.
Try Chemical Guys " Wheel Guard" on all your remaining chrome work as you seem to have a similar amount to deal with as on mine.
Its none abrasive, quick to apply and use, cleans fantastic and two coats gives an incredible layer of protection, especially from the dreaded brake dust fallout.

I used to actually use NXT on my Chrome, but it can give a little smeary surface at times and falls well short of what I achieve from this stuff, but I certainly agree on paint its an excellent allrounder.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
SergButton
Novice

Furniture polish is really a great way to spend 20 minutes on the bike and have it looking sharp.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by sctusa
Lemon Pledge....
You grinned, but I have heard of people using it. However, I would think (but not know for sure) that while it can make a great shine, it probably was not engineered to work well outdoors . . .

Jim G

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
08BlackPearlTrain
Intermediate

Definitely meguiars carnuba. I have also used a meguiars glaze to buff first then wax with great results.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF

Yeah, I know, it says "Marine Polish" - big deal - it is a polymer polish that works on any painted, fiberglass or polished metal surface.

Yes, we make it, but I use it because it is the best polish I've ever found. I use it on my black Jeep Cherokee, too.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM
UltraRider260
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote here for Mequiars products.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

I've been using Meguiar's for over 30 years. Great stuff. Their Cleaner / Wax is good for removing light oxidation. NXT2 is great. Last time I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate.

Quick Reply: Best high-gloss motorcycle polish