Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History of the Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
ratcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History of the Fatboy

Anyone out there got a site or link, proving that the Fatboy got its name from the atomic bombs of 1945.
Littleboy and Fatman.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/fatboy.asp

Originally Posted by ratcat
Anyone out there got a site or link, proving that the Fatboy got its name from the atomic bombs of 1945.
Littleboy and Fatman.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
deinesk
Cruiser

Try this one. Towards the end of the article it states:

"In the early 1990's the Fat Boy design was introduced and quickly caught on. The name Fatboy was derived by combining the names of the two atomic bombs "Fat man" and "Little Boy" which were dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It was destined from the start to become a Collector's item among biking enthusiasts and definitely achieved that status throughout its existence. Also in 1990, Construction on a 31 million dollar state of the art paint facility began in York, Pennsylvania. It was finished the following year."

Old 11-28-2008, 10:16 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok cool 1 more what is the meaning of the 7 yellow stripes on the "special model"?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting

Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

The History of the fat Boy, Humm...
Remember when the MOCO used to manufacture a “Heritage Softail” & a “Heritage Softail Classic”?
The Difference was that the “classic” came with saddle bags a fog light bar with the directionals underneath and a windshield and I think 1 or 2 colors

The regular Heritage was only about $600.00 less than the Classic.
Then came the marketing; they stopped the “Heritage” in 90, I think. and only offered the “Classic”

Kinda smart because every one I knew bought a Classic and striped it down to a Heritage

So after a manufacturing break they came out with the silver fat Boy with the yellow stripe in the rocker box.
And wola a Re branded Regular Heritage without the bags, windshield, and light rail for the same $$$ as a Classic and the public bought it!!!

This was HD's way to give some variety and get the same $$ for the same bike they offered years ago.
Oh yeah they changed the pipes to
As far as it named after the bomb I sure hope not. Although a very effective weapon depending in how you look at it, it would be upsetting to name anything so wonderful & enjoyable as a Harley Davidson after such a destructive apparatus

I am probably wrong about some of this and am sure I will stand corrected

Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never find a link supporting the moco's cause linking the Fatboy to the bombs dropped on Japan and waging war on the Japanese motorcycles. That being said, I believe it to be true and if it is, it is one of the greatest marketing ploys that has come from this country in a very long time. Wage war on your enemies General Motors, Ford, and gasp Chrysler. Screw your bailout!!! Wage war and fight to keep your prominence...

Last edited by conroskie; 11-28-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
ratcat
Tourer

Originally Posted by m i k e
ok cool 1 more what is the meaning of the 7 yellow stripes on the "special model"?
Thanks guy...
I did an artical about the Fatboy wheels in our HOG chapter news letter, being that they came from B-29's and all, found a lot of interesting stuff.
The yellow strip are the same color as Fatman, a plutonium atomic bomb. Not sure about the "7" rings though.
The silver is from the color of the two B-29's , code named "Silverplate". they when painted silver to match the blast wave that wound be under them.
Note the Fatboy badge on the tank, look very simular to the Air Force badge at that time.

With Snopes calling "False" on the story, I wonder if the Motor Co. had there fingers in on it.
BTW,
I am normally cruising the Touring section.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the harley book and it says that they are all false rumors and yes the wheels look like that of the bomber

Last edited by tk353; 02-09-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ratcat
Note the Fatboy badge on the tank, look very simular to the Air Force badge at that time.
You're thinking of the Army Air Corps insignia. There was no U.S. Air Force during WWII.

Quick Reply: History of the Fatboy