Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
HarleymanPearce
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

break in to the dealership and steel the bike, worst can happen is u get caught and throwed in the clink.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Iraqvet08
Novice

Ok and for the update went to navy federal credit union and they did better than HD did for me they pre approved me for 14,700 @ 10.5 i know a little high but I'm afraid thats the best rate I will get due to my lack of credit history unlike the original 12 from harley.... 48month 379.64 ,60 month 315.70 ,66 month 296.70, 72 month 278.45 did my insurance also premium will be 641. And i plan to put 4000 down. The bug is really bad now I'm so close , Ive been looking around and i cant find to many if any used rocker c in the crimson red I am pretty set on this color, an 09 would be nice but i cant find any 08s . So to recap The bike at century harley in NE Ohio is now selling for the msrp 19844 I'm planning to put 4 on it plus the loan which now comes to 1144 i need to make up they should knock that much off don't you think? How much will the extras cost as far as the tax and title. And would they be willing to lower the bike a couple inches for free I got on it and could not put both feet flat. Or should I go for the helmet and jacket? Sorry so long

Old 11-27-2008, 09:18 AM
dyna105SE
Tourer

umm I think the crimson red was an 09 color only. sounds like you have found a way to get your dream bike. shop around you will find the one...oh btw don't tell the dealer you are dead set on a bike because then they know you really want the bike and are less likely to deal

Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Regis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iraqvet08
... The bug is really bad now I'm so close , Ive been looking around and i cant find to many if any used rocker c in the crimson red I am pretty set on this color...
I'm with you on this. I collect vintage audio and I live for finding absolutely bitchin' deals. I've come across rare, vintage speakers, that I just had to have, but ended up just walking away from it and taking a deep breath. I'll admit that I am majorly OCD (Obsessive Compulsive) and when I hooked into the world of Harley Davidson, man, I got it bad.

I am an expert at scouring the internet for deals and educated myself thoroughly, but I walked away from the dealer a number of times, because I knew I could do better if I just waited. Force yourself to look at other models, and don't be obsessed with just that one model. I'd be happy with a Crossbones, Deluxe, Deuce, or any model, as long as it fit me. The Street Bob might be a consideration for you, because if you can't get your feet on the floor with a Rocker, the Street Bob might just work. I'm 6' 1" and I was seriously cramped on that bike.

My girlfriend went with a Deuce, just because her fit was ideal for this bike. She wanted a Deluxe, but the Deuces are $4k-$5K less and fit within her budget. Speaking of budget, all the accessories are expensive! The really good looking saddlebags from the MoCo run at least $700 the pair easy and up. Don't forget that maintenance and tires on these bikes ain't exactly cheap either. Tires are only good for about 6K to 8K miles if you're nice to them.

A final story is the time my little bro' drove by the local Ford dealership and gazed lovingly at the Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe on the rotisserie in the showroom. It revolved there, day after day and every day, he lusted after that car. He's got the OCD thing, way worse than me and when he's got to have something, he'll get it, even on an impulse. He walked into that showroom and the salesman easily recognized the symptoms and my bro paid full MSRP for that car. The moral is, teach yourself to walk away and consider other options.

Heck, for $14,000 you can find a lot of very decent Harley's out there. I've seen 1999-2002 Road Glides within that price range (and I love the look of a Road Glide with those cool dual headlights, it just screams style). I've seen Street Glides in that range and Road Kings too. I ride a FXST, but I'd easily switch to any of these bikes. Keep the options open! Do the research on a variety of models! You might end up with something that you love even more. You don't owe the dealer anything. Thank him and keep looking.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Iraqvet08
Ok and for the update went to navy federal credit union and they did better than HD did for me they pre approved me for 14,700 @ 10.5 i know a little high but I'm afraid thats the best rate I will get due to my lack of credit history unlike the original 12 from harley.... 48month 379.64 ,60 month 315.70 ,66 month 296.70, 72 month 278.45 did my insurance also premium will be 641. And i plan to put 4000 down. The bug is really bad now I'm so close , Ive been looking around and i cant find to many if any used rocker c in the crimson red I am pretty set on this color, an 09 would be nice but i cant find any 08s . So to recap The bike at century harley in NE Ohio is now selling for the msrp 19844 I'm planning to put 4 on it plus the loan which now comes to 1144 i need to make up they should knock that much off don't you think? How much will the extras cost as far as the tax and title. And would they be willing to lower the bike a couple inches for free I got on it and could not put both feet flat. Or should I go for the helmet and jacket? Sorry so long
Depends on your state sales tax. Assuming 6% that would be 1200. Tags/title may run 150. Set up fees which few dealers waive may be up to 800.

Your insurance seems high. NJ is one of the highest states and I pay 450 a year.

If that's all the money you can scrape together I'd leave my number and tell them to call me if they want to sell it at that price out the door. If my numbers are close that should be about a 3300 discount so I wouldn't hold my breath. 1500-2000 would be more realistic.

Since you seem to be stuck on one particular bike (that you haven't even sat on yet?) from one particular dealer you have little to leverage with. They can sense when they got you "on the hook" and will milk you for every dime they can get.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Huey Driver
Tourer

For all the people saying that you can't get a good rate on a bike I would say that is far from true. Yes HD sucks but that has always been true. Typically the best credit score will only get you a 7.9% rate at HD. However, lots of other banks give fantastic motorcycle rates, I got mine at 4% from Service Credit Union.

The interest rates you are talking about getting your loan at are insanely high. I would never advise that you get a bike that expensive at an interest rate above 7%. Either you are correct and don't have the credit history or your credit history is less than stellar. I would not advise you to get this bike at that rate however if you really did want to do it then you could get the bike and refinance after a year once you build up some more credit history. Just my .02 cents.