Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wher in the hell are people getting finance rates of %5 on a motorcycle? I have neber seen that even a a credit union, maybe %6.5 but not 5 for a bike

Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do better then HD financing...
Dealers make money on deals they finance though HD Credit... the higher the rate the more money they make...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wher in the hell are people getting finance rates of %5 on a motorcycle? I have neber seen that even a a credit union, maybe %6.5 but not 5 for a bike

This is the internet. People make up ****. Everyone has to say they got the best deal etc. Bikes usually are a higher interest rate for one simple fact. You can hide it anywhere to prevent a repo. I saw one post where a guy claimed he got a new bike for 3k off msrp, some of these internet people are nuts.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybastid83

This is the internet. People make up ****. Everyone has to say they got the best deal etc. Bikes usually are a higher interest rate for one simple fact. You can hide it anywhere to prevent a repo. I saw one post where a guy claimed he got a new bike for 3k off msrp, some of these internet people are nuts.

LOL...True ... I got mine at 6.25% the best HD with a 820 score was 6.9% seven months ago.. I realize that dealers are willing to make deals but financial institutions are also very leary on lending money at this time..

My .02 dont go from dealer to dealer and have them pull your credit report you lose points every time its pulled.. Get pre-approved from a bank or better yet a credit union and go from there.. If 12,000 dollars it what HD approved you at you should be able to find a decent bike (Harley) for that price...

Good luck

Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you run your credit app at a Harley dealer, then go to another dealer price searching, it won't effect your credit. The next dealer has access to your previous credit app. I wish I could tell you for how long, but I do not remember.

You are not going to do multiple credit checks. The above poster is right, multiple credit checks really hurt your credit score. It isn't the case with Harley, since they will see the original credit check and not institute another. As a matter of fact the dealer will see what other dealers initially applied to check your credit.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
Greetings,

There's 2 local credit unions here that are doing 5.05% and 5.25% for 60 months with no money down. Yes you have to have perfect credit to qualify. Just because they might not have it in Florida doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Harley Financial is always higher than everybody else.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybastid83

Just checked and in May when I bought my last bike I got 4% from my Credit Union. It was a secured loan which makes a difference.

I have never gotten the best deal on a bike. Don't have the patience to dick around for days going back and forth w/ sales people and that's what it takes. Plus like many people, when I get my eyes on that certain bike I want it. Bought 2 bikes w/i the last year, both w/i half hour of walking in the door, and both at least $1500 off msrp.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 AM
dyna105SE
Tourer

When I was shopping for my Bike (I was looking at a Rocker C) I found a 08 Dyna SE anniversary (which was 22200) for less then the Rocker with the 110ci upgrade I was going to do. HD credit approved me for 10% interest Unacceptable for me because I know my credit score and could do a lot better. I went to my bank approved me for 12.25% Really unacceptable went to another credit union on the advice of a coworker and they approved me for 6.99% and since I was going to be a new member they took another .25 off to 6.75%. That is a rate I could live with and I financed the entire price of the bike at 21200 (put 1K down) payment is 400 a month.

My suggestion is shop around and you will get something (interest rate & payment) you can deal with

Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Regis
Cruiser

I'm sorry about the experience you're going through. It's always a tough deal being rejected for something you really want. Don't discount a used bike either. Many credit unions will easily finance used bikes. Widen the range of models you're looking for too. While a Rocker may be the absolute, must have, there's nothing wrong with any of the other Softail models, that fit the same styling lines (FX vs. FL) like the Duece, Custom or even the FXST Standard.

With the economy being the way it is, you can pick up a used bike for a tremendous discount versus new. A knowledgeable eye can pick out many low miles (5K miles or less) models on Craigslist that are less than five years old (nothing wrong with the early Twin Cams either, while the 6 speed must be nice, I can live with the 5 speed for $10K less than what the former owner paid for it...). Used HD's are usually well-taken care of by their owners, as they're expensive bikes and usually will have all the service paperwork associated with that care.

Check the bike over carefully and test ride if you can. Make sure the title and VIN is clean (it usually is, but never hurts to check either.) Often you'll get the extra's too, saddlebags, pipes and other very expensive extra's. See my response to your first post about my girlfriend's 2003 Deuce, with 3K miles and all the high performance options thrown at it, for half of what the guy who owned it before paid. It still looks like a brand-new bike, (as did my FXST, which I picked up with 2,700 miles and the factory warranty).

Best of luck and keep your options open. I also agree about shopping with a credit union. That's how I did mine.

Last edited by Regis; 11-26-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another option is to go for a used bike, i know its hard, new is always so much nicer but used can come in cheaper

Good luck, and def shop around first

Quick Reply: My first Harley