Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger install difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:42 AM
TheNotchDeux
Advanced

Go with the Novello kit. I didn't see the year of your Fatboy; I found that my 08 had longer pins than my 05. Made it a little harder to route the wires through the bars. Hindsight being 20-20, I would have soldered the harness together before trying. A couple came loose, and didn't notice until I had the plugs back together.

Old 11-25-2008 | 12:35 PM
TW
Road Master

Not that hard to do.

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hanger install difficulty?-9-18-07-5.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:48 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

Soldering in extensions just wasn't something I felt like doing (I hate wiring), so I bought this kit. It comes with switches already attached to an extended harness. All you have to do is cut the wires to length, crimp the duetsch ends on and snap them into the factory connector. Easy as pumpkin pie.

If you are running the wires through the bars here's what I do.
1. crimp a fishing weight to some fishing line and tape the fishing line to a shoe lace. run the line through the bars, gravity is your friend with the lead weight.
2. tape the shoe lace to the wires and pull through.

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs...l.asp?page=162

If the bars have smooth bends you should be able to pull all the wires for each side through all at the same time.

Other than that you need basic skills to remove the fuel tank, remove the pipes if need be to pull the trans cover to install a new clutch cable, know how to bleed brakes, etc.

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:28 PM
FACTION95
|
Road Master

Hey WARG good to see you posting.

Thanks for all the tips. Anyone have a link to that Ape Install thread?

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:37 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

I think this is what they are talking about...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/291269-handlebar-change-with-pics.html

You went from Apes to beach now back again... I'm going from beach to Apes... hopefully I won't change my mind too soon

Mimo.

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:00 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

I've done 2 different sets of drag bars in the last year and now the apes......I'm through with bar changes for awhile. The drag bars were cheap changes.....price of the bars and a couple of hours of my time. The apes with all the cable changes got into my wallet a little bit. I paid more for the riser than I paid for either set of the drag bars.....

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:04 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
Soldering in extensions just wasn't something I felt like doing (I hate wiring), so I bought this kit. It comes with switches already attached to an extended harness. All you have to do is cut the wires to length, crimp the duetsch ends on and snap them into the factory connector. Easy as pumpkin pie.

If you are running the wires through the bars here's what I do.
1. crimp a fishing weight to some fishing line and tape the fishing line to a shoe lace. run the line through the bars, gravity is your friend with the lead weight.
2. tape the shoe lace to the wires and pull through.

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs...l.asp?page=162

If the bars have smooth bends you should be able to pull all the wires for each side through all at the same time.

Other than that you need basic skills to remove the fuel tank, remove the pipes if need be to pull the trans cover to install a new clutch cable, know how to bleed brakes, etc.

wow, looking at the Custom Chrome catalog, you have to buy the spring clip for the brake switch in a pack of ten for $11.........you only need one and I can't see how that one would ever go bad. Efficient way of increasing your sales....

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:14 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer wants $500 to change bars!? I can afford to screw it up several times over and still come out ahead! But being semi retired that's more than a two weeks pay check. But then again I wouldn't go to a genuine HD dealer if my ***** were on fire and they had the only fire extinguisher in town!

Old 11-25-2008 | 09:03 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

I put 16s on my Deluxe and changed out all the cables, switch housings, etc at the same time. It took me probably 20 hours total but I took my time and read the manual as I went. I also pulled the tank, changed the risers, added a tach and a few other odds/ends.

Running the wires internal to the bars is pretty easy. I taped off the holes on one side at a time and used an air compressor and blew through a piece of yard twine. Once the twine was through I simply taped the wires to the twine and pulled them through slowly. Make sure to check the holes and debur as necessary before starting.

One trick when removing the tank. Be careful or you can scratch your front rocker cover. I slid a piece of cardboard between the tank to protect it. I also used the fender covers when working on the bike just in case I dropped a tool or something.

When extending the wires, seperate the soldered areas so you don't end up with them all at the same location and a fat wire bundle. Use shrink tubing over the joints.

You won't have any problems...just take your time and read the manual as you go. The Harley manual is really excellent. Post any questions that come up here and you will get some help. Just don't rush it.

One othe thing to remember...disconnect the battery before starting or you will blow a fuse.

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:04 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

all good advice i will use all this
thanks happy turkey day mon

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger install difficulty?