Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help needed night train seat problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006 | 08:09 PM
johnny night train
|
Advanced
Default help needed night train seat problems

first off, a big hello, i just signed in at the new members section, and still feeling my way around the site, it is awsome!.

so here is my problem i ride a 05 night train, (that's not my problem lol) however last summer i ordered a second seat, for my wife. (personally i love the badlander seat), but we had to have something for 2up riding. but holy crap after only one ride to a somewhat local rally(4hr run) my clear coat was marked from the seat. this problem, occured because there is only a small area of plastic film protecting the clear.(enough to cover the badlander). so off comes the seat, and i got the clear buffed just in time. that seat never went on again. i have parted ways with the sundowner seat and have purchased the custom 2up seat for the night train from hd, figure i can't go wrong. however riding season is just around the corner and i don't want a repeat, because this time would be big trouble. soooo is there anyway to safely switch seats from badlander(solo) to 2up night train seat regularly with out any irreversable damage. i'll take anything here.

thanks in advance!

cheers john

[IMG]local://upfiles/10444/9B305147D5B4490AB19686CDE018D872.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2006 | 06:55 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: help needed night train seat problems

man thats a good question, I'd be curious about the same thing! I suppose a guy'd have to go buy some sorta protector, maybe just extend it out for the ride or somethin.

Old 04-07-2006 | 08:10 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I use a mustang solo seat when riding alone, I have a rear fender bib they sell, which covers the plastic protector. When I install the matching passenger seat, it only sits on the protector, so no harm done. I have seen bikes with a piece of felt between the seat and fender, so i'm guessing they have the same problem, but not sure if it works 100%.

You would want something that stays put on the fender rather than the seat, so the friction is not against the fender. Good luck, there must be something out there.

Old 04-07-2006 | 08:17 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

You might try Cleartastic from 3M. I use it on the nose of my cars to prevent rock chips. The stuff is really tough and you can't hardly see it when it on. Comes off with no mess - just peel and stick.

Know what you mean about the Badlander. Pointless for a passanger. Went to a Sundowner, it was really comfy but looked so butt ugly it only lasted 10 minutes on the bike. Recently bought a leather Ralleyrunner from HD. Best of both styles and look half decent too. Which custom seat did you order?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-07-2006 | 08:59 PM
johnny night train
|
Advanced

the seat I ordered was the one in the catalog that said "custom seat for night train", it has the a embossed leather insert with the emblem that matches the tank emblem.

Old 04-07-2006 | 11:54 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe a piece of soft carpet turned upside down would work. Not too sure it would work or not. My rear fender also has some dings in the clear coat but I really don't mind that much. It's not like I beat the crap out of it, but it gets used and I don't expect it to stay perfect forever. But that's just me. I do understand you wanting to protect it. The felt pad thing sounds like it might work also if it were thick enought.

Sanford

Old 04-13-2006 | 05:15 PM
warthog
Advanced

The cleartastic suggestion is right on target. That's what's already under the seat from the factory - maybe not the 3m but same idea. Put that down and you're good to go. It will stick out a bit when the badlander is on, but won't be noticable if done right. Tons of people use it on the front of their cars as a "clear bra"

Old 04-13-2006 | 07:06 PM
J
Tourer

Try glueing a thick piece of felt to the bottom of the seat where it touches the fender.