Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About handlebars???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
JKHeritage
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About handlebars???

I just bought a heritage softtail with very wide beachbars. I am new to riding. Would regular handlebars be easier for me???? Thanks. I appreciate any help anyone can give me, Jarod

Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Question About handlebars???

wider bars equal more leverage, but it depends on how your hands physically sit while holding the bars too.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:58 PM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call who you bought the bike from and see if they still have the stock bars. If so give them a try. If not go and sit on a few different Heritages to see what you like. There is no need to buy lots of different bars until you get what you want.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ill go with what slack said. my bike came with apes and six inch risers. i sat on a friends bike, with stock bars, and it was alot more comortable.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
hoggsbreath
Advanced

finding the right bars for YOU can be like finding the holy grail.. I've changed out the bars on my heritage twice..

riding with wide bars is about as easy as riding with narrower ones. you get used to what you use.

beware having your hands too high as the blood will drain away and your hands will go to sleep on long rides. bars that are too low sometimes makes your posture bad - you lean forward or curve your back to reach them. bars that are too wide can be a problem if you split lanes in traffic.

I have wide bars on my heritage.. HD wide glide 2 bars to be exact - with 2 inch risers. For my build and reach these are the best. On my dyna I have 18" apes.. (go figure). Both are fine for the type of riding I do on that bike.

Best of luck

Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I found the "Deuce" bars to be perfect for me.
I bought the Deuce Screamin' Eagle 1 1/4" set up for my bike, and I won't ever change them again.
I LUV em'..

Old 04-06-2006, 01:38 PM
softail4ever
Advanced

the truth is the wider the bars the easier it is to control the bike. leverage is the issue

Old 04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hoggsbreath
beware having your hands too high as the blood will drain away and your hands will go to sleep on long rides.
I've read a lot of folks saying that, and it may be true but personally have never experienced it. I have 12" apes on 4" risers which puts my hands significantly higher than my shoulders and have riden a long ways with no sleepy hands. Everyone's different I suppose.....

Old 04-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a heritage with beach bars and swapped back to stock heritage bars.. Much improved control (for me) in the twisties. I had a much easier time and more comfortable ride with the stock bars. I noticed issues with wrist angle and falling asleep with the beach bars. Anything that stretches out your arm straight compared to a nice relaxed position will cause issues with bloodflow and cramping and/or falling asleep.

Beach bars sure look cool though. [8D] On the right bike.

With my experience with heritage bars.. Considering wild 1's chubby 10" apes as a cooler version but still close to stock heritage bars.

I would actually love to find an EXACT duplicate of the heritage bars geometry but in the thicker style and drilled for hiding wires.