Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Springer..... TALK ME DOWN GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Turbo3pt3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heritage Springer..... TALK ME DOWN GUYS

Was at the stealer yesterday and saw a 2003 Heritage Softail Springer aniversary edition on the showroom floor. I'm tellin' you, it was love at first sight. I would love to have another bike to compliment the Rocker for longer trips. I'm not talking cross country stuff, just need a little more room for mama and some gear. The removable windshield and bags make it easier to strip down for more "attitude." Not really sure if another bike is in the immediate future, but never the less..... Since that day all I have have done is look at springers that are for sale. I have seen them from '89 to '06, with high mileage and low mileage. I'm looking for some feedback on what to look for in the springers and what years were the best.

While I'm at it, Is it just me, or do low milage bikes make any one else wonder about them? I have put over 5k on my Rocker since this spring but it is and will remain a "peach."
We all have friends with bikes that sit in garages and never see the light of day as the seals dry out, gas turns to shellac, and moisture and humidity start to work its evil. I ride my bike because I love it and have not neglected it in any way and it always gets everthing it needs. Anyway, I am on a rant. I just feel more comfortable buying a bike from a biker. Anyone else?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree with the buying a bike from a biker part. i'm always weary of people who sell their bikes right after they get them or with low mileages too.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Springer...

I can certainly understand the "love at first sight" a 97 - 03 Heritage Springer evokes. I too am smitten and in fact, I am driving 300 miles to look at a 97 tomorrow for a second bike. I can't figure out how people can buy a bike, put all sorts of stuff on it, and sell it 3 or 4 years later with 3000 miles on it. My 08 has 8200 miles on it and I live in the Northeast. It still looks like new (actually better) because even though I ride it, I take care of it. I agree that I am more comfortable buying a used bike from someone who rides. They are more likely to have their service records and certainly you will get a better price. Go get that 03!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
FirstRealBike
Cruiser

Some killer deals may sometimes be had from those "I bought a Harley 'cause IT'S cool and I'M rich..." kinda guys
They buy em, fix em up, store em in their heated garage next to their BMW, and then the wife says she wants it out of there! (no biggie, he doesnt ride it anyways...)
I have no good advise as to what year Springer to look for, but I can tell you I love mine and I would probably sell my truck if I had to... (before my bike)!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 AM
OOORAH
Intermediate
Default Springer ???

Hey guy----you asked for a talk down--well here goes:
I bought a brand new Springer in 1999 because ,like yourself, I fell in love with the ride,the seating position was to die for and all the chrome on the front end was soooooo coooool ! Bet it wasn't 3000 miles until I almost died over that bike , not because it was so cool but because the front end began a high speed shimmy while I was in a turn. Luckily I averted disaster,mostly from pure luck and marginal riding skills ! This was at interstate speeds in a long but rather tight curve.
I took the bike to my dealer and was told that,"Springers are infamous for producing this (high speed shimmy) effect and the dealer had no suggestions other than for me to , BE AWARE ". May you take heed-- I immediately sold the bike(does this give some type of answer as to why people sell low milage bikes).
Most recently I bought a 2008 FXSTSSE2, one of the fancier Springers,because the cooool factor overrode my better judgement. I will say that the new ones are better in corners and have somewhat overcome the high speed shimmy. They still have a long way to go to compete with a regular front end. I sold that 2008 due to overbuilding the engine and having terminal problems with it ! Again--"low milage almost new bike"-----beware--Springers doing the "shimmy" and old guys screwing up a bike ,then dumping it is very normal.
Hope this sheds some light on your inquiry.

Please don't think ill of me for being truthful and wanting to assist a fellow rider.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

No experiance with a springer front end myself but I have heard they are bouncy. If you can test ride it do that first. But I heard 21" front wheels and tires on a bagger is a bad idea also but I have found no ill effects of it so I figure the bouncy springer front ends may be the same...just a urban legend.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 AM
vixyswillie
Intermediate

Seems there's more to this "shimmy" (or "Harley wobble") than urban legend:

http://www.bikernewsonline.com/2007/...ley-wobble.htm

Ironically, I recently looked at a Sporty from a local seller, who was complaining of exactly the same thing.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Turbo3pt3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springer???

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Springer front ends require maintenance. I love mine and it runs like it is on rails through curves. I could not even try to talk someone out of buying one.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Check out www.heritagespringer.com many many reasons why the Heritage Springer was the best bike HD made... You won't regret it...

Quick Reply: Heritage Springer..... TALK ME DOWN GUYS