Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy Bar install - idiot (newbie) proof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008 | 09:52 PM
hellfish
|
Tourer
Default Sissy Bar install - idiot (newbie) proof?

I know this will seem like a super lame question, but i'm a totally cycle n00b.

I'm getting my bike in a couple of weeks and I just want to make sure that the sissy bar plates and bar itself just bolt on. I mean, I dont have to remove any tail lights or anything like that? I'm not getting a detachable, just a standard mid-low for my fatboy. The sales guy is trying to talk me into letting the service dept install it and I figured I could just bolt it on myself.

Thanks for answers to a rediculously lame question I'm sure.

Old 10-28-2008 | 10:04 PM
roostracing
Cruiser

not to worry...save your money and do the install yourself...it is EXTREMELY easy and will only take a few minutes to do it...especially since you are not getting the detachable one

Old 10-28-2008 | 10:07 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior

mmmm have not yet done it myself, but one thing I would like to point out though is that if you are looking at getting a detachable sissybar for your fatboy, you will need a detachable sissybar as well as the docking kit for it. you will need to install a docking kit on the rear fender struts first that will be able to receive the detachable sissybar.
a bolt on sissybar is a just bolt on job, a detachable needs a few parts more.

in neither case do i think that you need to remove tail lights or such. But then again i have not actually done it myself yet.

Old 10-28-2008 | 10:07 PM
hellfish
|
Tourer

Awesome thx man!

Old 10-28-2008 | 10:08 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior

emmmm lol I can't read...sorry missed the "NOT" infront of the "DETACHABLE"

yeah bolt on is easy

Old 10-29-2008 | 06:11 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Most bolt on modifications you can do yourself. Just make sure you have a good set of tools and a lot of patience. Work slowly, follow directions and if possible, get a service manual. Some of the instructions that come with the kits aren't complete and reference the service manual.

For tools, I'd suggest you get a set of torx and allen head sockets that will fit your ratchet and if you don't have one, get a knuckle joint for your socket set.

If you get stumped, post a question on here. A lot of the folks here have been at the same place.

Old 10-29-2008 | 07:04 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

you can do it yourself. Just get a good set of Torx sockets, my 'Train I installed a bolton sissy bar very easy less than 15min install time good choice

Old 10-29-2008 | 07:37 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I have the detachable sissy bar, which I always leave on. So it might as well be the permanent one.
I am not familiar with how yours goes on. If you have to remove strut bolts, it helps to use a heat gun to loosen up the loctite on them before you try and loosen them.
Tom

Old 10-29-2008 | 08:03 AM
flst06
Cruiser

Good idea about the heat gun.....The lock tite that the factory uses can be a Bi***. Use a layer or 2 of painters tape above and below the fender strut to help prevent damage for when the torx socket slips (ask me how I know).

In my case, there was so much lock-tite I had a difficult time putting the new bolts back in when I installed the detachable hardware. Had to chase it out w/ a tap.

Have fun w/ your new toy!

Don

Old 10-29-2008 | 08:19 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

If you're installing a rigid mount sissy bar, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just a couple of bolts and it's done. If you're installing a detachable sissy bar, then chances are that you'll have to have the directional relocation kit which changes the way the rear turn signals are mounted. The directional relocation kit can be a bit of a PITA to get installed if you don't know what you're doing, and the directions from HD SUCK A$$!

Quick Reply: Sissy Bar install - idiot (newbie) proof?