Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque Question

I'm putting docking hardware on my FLSTSB in the morning. It calls for 21-27 ft-lbs. Is it neccesary to use a torque wrench for this or can I just tighten it with a reqular wrench, i've got plenty of those! If ya'll think its not smart to do it without the torque I'll go buy one but just wanted to check with the pros first.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

RK

Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have torque wrench that would be the greatest, but I have yet to purchase one but its on my list soon..But I have done installation of the docking hardware without the wrench and no issues..I went to my buddies and I checked with a torque and wasnt too far off anyways..

preferred method..get a torque if you plan on doing a lot of work..

Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

It would be best to use a torque wrench if your don't have a lot of expirience wrenching. But if you don't have one, just snug it down carefully......don't try to keep turning bolt till it stops.......and use a small amount of light duty lock tite.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done all kinds of work on cars and bikes without ever using a torque wrench, however I'd definitely recommend purchasing one the next time you've got the extra dough. If the docking hardware uses allen bolts, then you'll probably have a hell of a time putting 21 - 27 ft-lbs on a bolt by hand using a standard size allen wrench. If you're using a socket wrench with an allen head socket, then it'll be a completely different story.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches but seldom use them. Been wrenching since I was a kid and after a while, you develop a feel for most stuff. However, when you get to the internals, torque wrenches are a necessity.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser

Get yourself a good torque wrench. A lot of people may question my brand, but for the wrenching I do on my own vehicles, I use Craftsman torque wrenches and take care of them. A Craftsman torque wrench is the cheapest one I would by though. Breaking bolts, stripping threads, and loose fasteners are all a pain in the rear to me. Later, Calvin.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Torquing the docking hardware isn't that critical. Just get it good and tight and use Locktite blue on the threads. If the docking hardware loosened up you would soon notice it while washing the bike or installing/removing an item, and it would rattle.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque wrench is not as important as having the proper tools for doing the job. I would buy a good set of 3/8 drive allen/torx sockets first. You are not going to over tighten them, but just make sure you do get them tight and use the blue loctite as suggested.