Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn grips to big!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kuryakyn grips to big!!??

So the dealer put some on for me, and the left one came right off - slid right off.

I could see that they used cement... but still, how lame is that. I called to complain...
They told me that Kuryakyn grips are a little to big, and they don't fit as tight.
This would have been useful info before they sent me down the road!

So... I bought two more small tubes of the best grip glue that I could find, put it in, and let it set up.
It is on much tighter, but still is not rock solid. I can twist the grip if I tried....

Any recommendations on some killer adhesive or a workaround here?

Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Bluebear
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kuryakyn grips to big!!??

I have always used Kuryakyn ISO grips and they are not too big! Kuryakyn grips are applied with a super glue like adhesive. I removed my grips when I put on my apes and I reapplied them using regular super glue. Works great and they haven't come loose in a year. Just use super glue. Apply liberally and leave overnite and you should be good to go!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Nasty350LT1
Cruiser

I would go down to Home Depot and get some "Gorilla Glue"
This is the best adhesive that I have ever used.
It will darn near glue anything.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

I would go down to Home Depot and get some "Gorilla Glue"
This is the best adhesive that I have ever used.
It will darn near glue anything.

Just so happens I have some in my shop!
I'm off to do that now!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

OK - I used a good amount of Gorilla Glue & a little super cement glue mixed in for good measure. I'll let it set for at least 48 hrs as it just snowed here any how - I'm not riding anywhere.

Question #2:
Do I need to do some kind of repeat on the throttle grip? It seems to be on there ok, but it's hard to tell....
I'm concerned that the tech did the same lame job on my other grip, and I want to fix it my self - the heck with taking it back to the dealer.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 AM
ICE17N24
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Finalcut

OK - I used a good amount of Gorilla Glue & a little super cement glue mixed in for good measure. I'll let it set for at least 48 hrs as it just snowed here any how - I'm not riding anywhere.

Question #2:
Do I need to do some kind of repeat on the throttle grip? It seems to be on there ok, but it's hard to tell....
I'm concerned that the tech did the same lame job on my other grip, and I want to fix it my self - the heck with taking it back to the dealer.
I hope you did not use too much Gorilla glue. Since you have it at your shop I'm sure you have used it before, THAT stuff expands a S...tload.

Good luck

LATER

Old 04-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

I hope you did not use too much Gorilla glue. Since you have it at your shop I'm sure you have used it before, THAT stuff expands a S...tload.

Good luck

LATER

Oh crap! I did use to much & my grip blew up - right off of the bar!

I used a good amount, but I should be fine....

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

The right side is not glued on at all because it has to spin for the throttle. It locks in place under the controls so the only way it should come off is if the control wa to come off. Now I've never put on any after market grips so there may be a chance that the Kuryakyn grips mount differently so if this is the case someone else chime in.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

The right side is not glued on at all because it has to spin for the throttle. It locks in place under the controls so the only way it should come off is if the control wa to come off. Now I've never put on any after market grips so there may be a chance that the Kuryakyn grips mount differently so if this is the case someone else chime in.

Anyone????

Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Softtail Bob

From the DIY forum here, it even said to lube the throttle site

10. Clean off the old graphite / oil from the bar and re-lube it using the new graphite grease or cable lube like DRI SLIDE, you'll be glad you did, while you're at it , give the cables a lube with it where the cable goes into the sheath. (just a few drops)
I lubed my throttle side. I hope that was right.

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn grips to big!!??