Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" Physco Chubby Apes on a Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 07:58 PM
LBCDeluxe
|
Advanced
Default 18" Physco Chubby Apes on a Deluxe

How hard is this to do on my own. I have the bars and 1" riser.

I called my local shop they quoted me 8 to 10 hours or $750 labor alone without parts (ie) lines, cable, wire, etc.......

Has anyone done this on there own that can give me some helpful information. The bike is all stock now with the layback riser and beach style bars.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance -Mike-

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:22 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior

My local guy installed my 14" 1 1/2 Buffalo bars, risers, custom steel braided cables, and ISO grips for $680. That included all parts and labor.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:29 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

I was quoted $700 for 16" 1.5 Chubbies, steel braided cables, etc. Parts and labor.

I still think I am gonna do it myself. Save money and better learn about my bike. Heck, I know nothing about mechanics and I did the entire 1000 mile service myself. I bought that stupid $50 head bearing tool too for my Cross Bones.

Regardless, the price you got quoted is a rip off.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:47 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

8-10 hours sounds a little long...cant believe it takes that long for professionals to do this...I can see if they were amateurs and never did this before but for pro's??? No way!

Originally Posted by LBCDeluxe

I called my local shop they quoted me 8 to 10 hours or $750 labor alone without parts (ie) lines, cable, wire, etc.......

Has anyone done this on there own that can give me some helpful information. The bike is all stock now with the layback riser and beach style bars.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance -Mike-

Old 10-11-2008 | 07:50 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, well those "profressionals" quoted that long of labor so they can make a sh!tload of money. They will probaly have the bike sit for a good 1-2 hours before they even start on it. And when they DO start on it, they take there sweet @ss time. I mean seriously, whats the rush for them, ya know?

Ok, sorry..... I'm still blowing off a bit of steam. I had my bike in the shop for 2 weeks being fixed under warranty work (bad stator, voltage regulator) and it sat for a good 8 days before they decided to even touch it.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. But I think if you have yourself a service manual, you can do the change on your own. Lotta' people have done it on here, so I'm sure if you need help, many would be more then willing to help you out. Good luck man!

Old 10-11-2008 | 08:50 AM
anubisss
Banned

Call Harley House calls and see how he wants. He will come to your home or work, and probably charge less. 818.335.9662
http://www.harleyhousecalls.com/

Old 10-11-2008 | 02:24 PM
Aaron J
Advanced

8-10 hours? either they are incompetent or crooks, either way I wouldn't let them touch my ride, or give them the satisfaction of my dollar. Do it your self, honestly how hard could it be? Worst case you get stuck and take it in and have them complete the job, or you might actually complete the job yourself....have a buddy look it over for you afterwards. I did mine about 3 months ago, took me about 3 hours from start to finish, and it was my first time. Gnarled up one throttle ferrule and that was the extent of my mistakes...

Old 10-11-2008 | 05:33 PM
JR_HD
Advanced

I did my own (14" apes wired internally, risers, wire extensions and new cables), while I was at it I relocated my turn signals. Took me a couple of nights... I would guess about 10-12 hours of work. Keep in mind I was working slow because I had never done this before and wanted to do it right. Probably would have gone faster with out beer...but got it done, saved a ton of money and learned a lot. Not to mention the satisfaction of working on my own stuff. If you have someone to help, it would have been nice to have an extra set of hands at times. Get a manual...with the manual and the search feature of this forum to answer your questions, you CAN do it!

JR

Old 10-11-2008 | 06:14 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Originally Posted by LBCDeluxe

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance -Mike-
Was the local shop the dealer or an indy. Just curious. I installed 16" apes on both my softail and the Road King. If you are the least bit handy with tools you can do this yourself. I believe there is an outfit on eBay that sells cables, wire harnesses and hydraulic/brake lines to match your bars.

Get a manual and get to it. It's not as hard as you think.

Old 10-12-2008 | 12:10 AM
jmsoftail94
Intermediate

Don't know if you have everything already, but Hill Country Custom Cycles on ebay has everything you need. They sold me the bars, controls, and lines and gave me electrical instructions. Not hard, just need to know the electrical and Loctite everything. You can do it yourself!!

Quick Reply: 18" Physco Chubby Apes on a Deluxe