Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 09:49 AM
Strick
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by acchd
Boss Bags are detachable and locking and work with the HD detachable backrest. They also have a option of a decorative chrome bullet style nipple covers for when you have bags off.
Thanks, I have not heard of that brand before. I will try to find them and check them out.

Old 09-30-2008 | 10:09 AM
url8
Road Master
Default Easy Brackets?

Originally Posted by Strick
I have read through many threads via a search regarding which rear bag system is best. At street vibrations (a Reno bike event) I met the owner of the easy bracket system, which is a locking system. He told me that his system is used in conjuction with the HD detachable backrest bracket and with that in place is bracket would stick out about 1 1/2 to 2". That is probably not the best look when the bags are off.
Strick I have the easy brackets with Leatherworks bags. Sorry the pictures are not the best but maybe you can get an idea. Tho my bike doesn't look like this anymore, I was running the Harley backrest with the bags. Easy on and off.
Good luck..

Old 09-30-2008 | 11:19 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Strick
Thanks, I have not heard of that brand before. I will try to find them and check them out.
Here's there link. These are very good quality.

http://www.bossbags.com/index.html

Old 09-30-2008 | 11:57 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

I like those those boss bags - very nice. For those like myself on a budget, I got new brackets and used bags for 75% "less" than what those cost. In the video, the boss bags look like they also stick out a bit.

fwiw - I appreciate this thread. I asked the bracket question awhile back. I think I was bracket question #3,938... lol, although I did not get this many responses I am still liking what I ended up doing.

Attached Thumbnails (quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest-2008_0907bike0005.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008 | 12:42 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

The Boss bags are 1.25" out from softail strut to where it contacts bag coupling. I am not sure how you could have it any closer and clear detachable backrest? They also make a closer mounting bag backplate if you opt out of ever using a detachable backrest.

Old 09-30-2008 | 01:38 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, that makes sense... thats what I noticed, the actual "bag bracket" adds to the distance that the bags stick out once mounted. It looked similar to easy brackets. I could be wrong, it just looked that way in the video. I believe Bubbas mounts bags closer but, I read on this forum that they only work with HD bags?

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:46 AM
Strick
|
Cruiser

Thanks URL8!

I purchased the HD quick release backrest bracket yesterday but my local shop had to order the docking kit. ($193 total = WOW!). I have decided to go with the easy brackets. I know they look good with the bags removed because I have seen the easy bracket display and the pic below. I just wish they didn't stick out so far, but it is what it is. For long term removal I can just go by nice matching chrome head allens.

Thanks again guys for all the replies. Now the wait for parts begins.

Originally Posted by url8
Strick I have the easy brackets with Leatherworks bags. Sorry the pictures are not the best but maybe you can get an idea. Tho my bike doesn't look like this anymore, I was running the Harley backrest with the bags. Easy on and off.
Good luck..

Last edited by Strick; 10-01-2008 at 10:03 AM.