Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed belt guards

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it true what Scruffie said about the 9 hours labor to install a new belt?? Im new to the "belt drive" scene and would like to know.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like its missing something. after all the tabs are still there and its a lot safer with the guards, guess thats why there called guards. i have a primary open belt and run a outer cover/guard, it would look cooler without the guard but seeing as i already dropped it once on that side and the guard saved me i think ill keep it on. but, really its a nice looking bike, but i think it would look better with the covers back on, just my opinion and every one has them, them and butts and they both stink.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 214 Likes on 132 Posts

Bottom one is the one you really need. Top one if it catches a rock doesn't guard that part of the belt. You could shorten it or do something funky with the top.

I think the chrome one on the bottom with that swingarm would look good.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruffie
They all look good without the guard but one stone pushed through the belt may change your mind later. Cost of a belt & the 9 hours to pull down the entire primary side & drop the swingarm to replace it may have you wondering later if it was woth it. Especially if the shop has to do the work.

Scruffie
That is exactly right!!

Originally Posted by ROCKERMAN
Is it true what Scruffie said about the 9 hours labor to install a new belt?? Im new to the "belt drive" scene and would like to know.
If you have a shop manual, take a look at belt removal and replacement. There is sooo much crap to take off BEFORE you can even begin putting a new belt on. And then, all the seals and gaskets that got "disturbed" by the components removed all need to be replaced. If the dealer shop does the job, the grand total to install a new belt is likely to reach about $900.00. That's like a frickin' GRAND $$$$$!!!
That alone says to leave the guards on!
In my opinion, this is one area where H-D really sucks!!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just have a shortie on the top and removed the lower, like the look, yes you can get a rock in there. I've heard some get rocks in there with the guards on so it's a crap shoot anyway, rather look cool and if the belt needs to be changed then I'll just have to upgrade some parts that are removed

Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

keep it off....looks cool...if it gets a rock and breaks....cool ain't cheap....