Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DYNO" Numbers For SOFTAILS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
this is as big as im going in cubes. you have to know when to stop. other wise theres no end to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. hp+tq cost big money as you well know, theres no way im splitting my cases for a few more hp.

This is why my local builder calls it "cubic dollars."

Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Vinny133
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
hey vinnie133 nice talking to another canuck , waz up? im out here in surrey,
Hey Hpfatboy!! Hello from North Van. Sounds like quite a monster you've got there. Hope to go in that direction soon myself. Not sure to what extent yet. Met those Jarz guys at last year's bike show in Langley. Great guys, did an awesome job tuning mine. Mine was originally done by Eastside Harley in Washington State. Ran super rich. Getting way more mileage AND performance thanks to Jarz. Bit of a ride from North Van but well worth it. Are you still on the road or tucked away for the winter?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking hey vinnie

u bet brother, im tucked away and covered with a blanket for 5 mon. its a sad day when you have to put your bike to sleep. i just got this build done in sept. of this year, last year i just did the cam. it was a little easier on the pocket this way if you know what i mean. to do it in stages, lee told me this cam was perfect at the time, and in case i wanted to go to the next stage the cam would be just right for the 95 inch motor. he was right on. ive known lee since he was an apprentice at trev deeleys back in 1980. so this guys been working on these bikes for 28 yrs. and your right he does know his stuff, hes a straight shooter. tells you up front what you need for your build before you start. so you get exactly what you want. and daryl really knows how to use that dyno, believe me . as you found out for your self, extracting every drop of hp and tq, thats his specialty along with doing a fine job on my motor. its a big task to find an honest shop in this buisness so when you do stay with them . good luck, you need a reference tell them hugo sent you. it helps me and you, hope you kick it up to the next stage soon !!!!!!!!!! keep in touch , let me know how your doing.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
sojer
Intermediate
Default Every Dyno's different

Question, hope you guys can help. I was told every Dyno's different. Are these machines calibrated, how and why would they rate differently? Is there a way to make sure you get what you pay for as far as performance mods go?

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

southjerseyrockerc. you have some good questions, the only answer i can give you is. its not the dyno machine but the one operating it that counts. im sure you can have a dyno worth $2,000,000 dollars , but if the guy using it doesnt know what hes doing. then whats it all about? a real waste of money and a bike that runs like ****. you must go on word of mouth in your area as to what shop to go to for your build. in my case it was a hot rod harley shop with a reputable name in building high end quality motors. they discuss in detail what you want out of your motor, and these are the parts you must use to complete the puzzle. once again choose your shop wisely. as far as different types of dynos, im not sure. as far as calibration, im sure a specialty shop would have this dyno dialed right in. as there buisness depends on you going away a happy man. good luck bro.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM
sojer
Intermediate

HPFatboy, thanks for the responce, great information. Did you build out your motor? Who did it and what was done if so..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRockerC
Question, hope you guys can help. I was told every Dyno's different. Are these machines calibrated, how and why would they rate differently? Is there a way to make sure you get what you pay for as far as performance mods go?

Thanks in advance...
SJC: As you have found out their are some dynos that give higher or lower Numbers than others. That is the reason I asked when posting our numbers in here Please put if they were a
(STD, or SAE) dyno run, also what gear it was done in if you can remember. Different dyno machines and or tuners can make an easy 5% difference, really good tuners even more .

If you do a search on (DYNOS) on the net you can learn a lot, I have.
One good site is, (DrDyno) type that in for a search and then look for (Drdyno in AIM July 2006), author explains alot on different dynos runs. Their is a lot of other good reading if you look for it that explains how and why we get different results with the same bike on different dynos....

Last edited by oct1949; 12-16-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRockerC
HPFatboy, thanks for the responce, great information. Did you build out your motor? Who did it and what was done if so..
motor was done up here in canada by jarz performance, a hot rod harley shop. more costly than most shops, but for me you get what you pay for. do it once and do it right is my motto. bored STOCK 88 barrels to 95, je forged pistons 10-25-1. ported STOCK heads, kept STOCK valves and STOCK carb, crane valve springs. comp. releases, WOODS tw6g cam, baisley oil pump spring. SE clutch spring and SE adjustable push rods. daytona twin tech ignition module, gerolamy air filter, easy pull clutch. V+H pro pipe, bike set at 10-2-1 compression. this cam likes the higher comp. final results 97 hp 110 tq trust me , its a real arm stretcher. when you grab a handfull of throttle. hope this helps a bit, of course when building an engine the options are endless. this was the route i took and very happy with results. good luck bro.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-16-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM
sojer
Intermediate

Great information, I'll look up that site. Thanks again....

SJRC

Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
exodor1
Cruiser

I'm in the process of a Stage 1 on my 08 Fat Boy (V&H Big Radius 2in1; V&H fuelpak; K&N air filter - HD1499). I was told V&H has a specific download for their pipes. I can't wait to see and FEEL the difference - because that's what people say, you may not understand why you spent a stack for 5hp and some tq, but you will feel it on the seat. My question is: Does anybody know if this setup is a direct hookup without a dyno, or will I need a dyno, and what "tuning" can be done on a F.I. bike? Or is this not needed due to the pipes and fuelpak matched up? Thanks.

Quick Reply: "DYNO" Numbers For SOFTAILS