Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05, so I don't have the wide tire on my FB. I decided early on that I wanted FB and when I upgraded from my Sporster, that's where I went. The great thing about choices, is choices. My unscientific observations and single blind study has concluded that the lower Deluxe ride and retro look also grabs a lot of women. The Heritage seems to appeal to a lot of older HD riders who almost want a bagger. And, then there are a the FB owners... They are all nice, but for me, the FB still suits me best. I have even sat on several baggers while contemplating moving up to a glide or RK. I still think the FB fits me better. In the end, don't buy anyone of the bikes because of what we say, buy the one you'll be content w/two years from now.

And, never, never, never believe the solid wheel myth. I have never had anymore push on my FB w/solid wheels than I did on my Sportster w/laced wheels. For most of us, our fat asses make a bigger sail than two solid wheels...

Last edited by MarAgt; 09-26-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1of2
It IS NOT an issue. Didnt you just see the last 6 or 8 fatboy owners in this post all say the same thing? Do you STILL know better than they do? You don't even own one and you STILL know more? I own one and I have owned other bikes and I'm telling you it IS a myth.
Originally Posted by Miami Cruzer
It IS an issue, just find some "reviews" of the FB, but a great lookin' bike....
You can see which one I chose........
Not an issue

I could be all wet here... imo - the diff is that most FB's ride without a shield. I have a detach shield, tried it for a day or two and it does make things settle down a little at higher speeds and breezy days. But, I prefer the non-settled, full wind experience!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Not an issue

I could be all wet here... imo - the diff is that most FB's ride without a shield. I have a detach shield, tried it for a day or two and it does make things settle down a little at higher speeds and breezy days. But, I prefer the non-settled, full wind experience!
I have the detach too and prefer without it. Damn we have the same bike except for the wheels and seat!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 PM
HogDeluxe
Former Sponsor

There is definitely a difference on the ride between the two. I have a Deluxe and love the lower more stable ride. Ride them both there are not the same.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Don't worry about the crap about the solid wheel...it ain't true. Get the bike you like. The Deluxe sits a little lower than the Fatboy. I had two Fatboys before I bought my Deluxe. Strictly a choice based on appearance. My Fatboys were black, I decided to get a white one. Went to the dealer, looked at it...Thought it was too girlie. Salesman said let me show you a new bike that just came out (2005). It was love at first sight, loved the retro look. Any choice you make will be a good one.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

First, get the bike that you like, if you liked the deluxe why wouldnt you just spend the extra thousand and get the bike you wanted?? I mean your already spending 17K on the bike why wouldnt you just pony up the extra and get that bike if you liked it.....

As far as the ride they will be very similar, both those bike are extremely stable, the only difference that I see is that the seat height on the Deluxe will be lower, other than that they handle just about identical

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1of2
I have the detach too and prefer without it. Damn we have the same bike except for the wheels and seat!
Now thats a nice bike!!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain

I had the same decision to make, I was torn between the two, I ended up with the Deluxe, no regrets getting the Deluxe. Now I want a Road King as a second bike. I can never make up my mind.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Just bought an 06 Fatboy Oct 4th (like new only 2362 miles.. almost 3000 now...lol). Initially wanted an 09 Fatbob but I'm not disappointed at all. Sat on Fatbob (lol) at dealership and, as I read on another post, the bike told me to buy it... but had to sale my 03 Silverado but couldn't find a buyer eventhough truck was in showroom condition. Then found my 06 at a motorsports dealership and they were willing to take my truck as a trade.

The number of things I like about the Fatboy now outnumber the things I like about Fatbob so again I'm not dissapointed. HOWEVER, I'm still curious and the local harley dealership is having a "demo" day next Saturday. I want to go test ride a Fatbob and here's the long awaited point to this... AND NOW I WANT TO TEST RIDE A DELUXE TO ALL YOU THAT OWN ONE AND HAVE COMMENTED ON THEIR RIDE VS FATBOY. THANKS. (lol)

Last edited by P'colaHarley-17RGS; 10-25-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

didn't mean to double post but wanted to weigh in about the wind "issue"

I'm a new rider and only have riden my 06 FBoy but I haven't (HAVE NOT) been pushed around by the wind... and even though I've only had it a month I have riden on some very windy days.

so, I too, think it's a myth.

Quick Reply: Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe