Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 PM
weskey4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe all the way 4me!

I've ridden Fatboys and I own a 05 Deluxe. Would never go back to a Fatboy. Bottom line brother, buy what fits you! My 05 Deluxe is the sweetest stocker made by HD...just my opinion...

Attached Thumbnails Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe-my05deluxe.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow!!! I didn't know I would touch a nerve with my previous post, I was just stating what some Fatboy riders had told me. That behind us, I do agree with this.
Originally Posted by aggro_jo
I dont know about y'all but when I went into the dealership, the BIKE told ME that I was buying it. If you havent felt that yet, hold onto your cash a bit longer.

(problem is, now I got another one telling me to bring it home too............)

Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

you must be joking! haha! If a bike will almost get away from you in every crosswind, it's time to get back in the car!

Do they even teach physics in school anymore? How do people believe this stuff?

[QUOTE=VigilantOutlaw;3910047]I had talked to a few owners of Fats and they all confirmed in a cross wind the bike would almost get away from them, one guy lost his on the way back from the dealership when a tractor trailer passed him (this could have been driver error ???).
QUOTE]

Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my sights on a Fatty, then I found my Deluxe and it just felt right to me. It's a personal choice, but whatever choice you make you'll know when it's right.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 AM
jonr
3rd Gear

I'd add that keeping those laced wheels on the deluxe from dirt and tarnish would be a real challenge compared to solid fatboy wheels. I've had laced on a dyna and then 2 fatboys , had to replace the laced wheels as couldnt keep them from corroding. As to side winds and solid wheels - no issues.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Piezoman
1st Gear

I have both an 08 FB and 08 Deluxe, and I can confirm and deny a few statements on here from other users.

While the looks of the FB do tend to say "beefier, heavier, etc.", as stock the Deluxe actually weighs more. The FB does take that extra bit of effort compared to the Deluxe to toss around as your CG is slightly higher, but once you lay into corners and such you can lean pretty much as far as you like. I have yet to scrape a board on my FB, but the Deluxe gets me every time I take her out. The ride IMHO on the Deluxe is much smoother, firmer, and steady, again associated with the lower CG I'd assume, whereas the FB tends to want to rock you back and forth quite noticeably when you really get on the throttle or front brake.

Maybe I'm a light-weight and don't have the body type for a FB, but honestly the Deluxe is my bike of choice when it comes to longer rides, especially with the Mrs. onboard. The FB, both in styling and ride, lends itself more for the solo cruising and really ripping around through the country. The Deluxe is what we take out to the bars downtown, as it really does turn heads. Even stock, it is definitely a head-turner with its extra bits of chrome and tank medalions.

I have VH Duals with fishtail tips on the Deluxe, and it only adds to the class and beauty of this machine. The FB has VH BSS, which gives it that much more of a muscle bike look.

In the end, as someone said, the bike should talk to you. I bought each one partly out of boredom, but also because of what each one represents and their potential.

Paul

Last edited by Piezoman; 09-25-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM
2002fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dig my solid (no holes) Fat Boy wheels. Just waiting to get them chromed.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM
FrankT
Cruiser

Gonna head to the dealer and test ride both back to back and see what bike calls me! Great info, thanks guys.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
FragCity
Advanced

Not to start any fights. But I would guess that a majority of the Deluxe owners are over 40 and the FB owners are under.

I am 30 and my FB just calls to me.

In my readings and reviews those who ride the Deluxe tend to want the nostalgic look of the 57 Chevy; paint scheme with white wall tires. I find it a bit old and worn out.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Niddite
Cruiser

Okay...you may have something there. I own a Deluxe and I am over forty, just barely. Some tastes do change with age...When I first saw Terminator 2, I was in my mid-twenties and I wanted that FB...Now the FB does not appeal to me like the Deluxe. I think the Deluxe is a blast to ride, I feel a part of the bike, not perched upon it and it has "the look" I like. ...and as so many have said, you just have to get the bike that you like...not anyone else. Good luck with your decision FrankT! Either way you will be happy and that is what's most important.

Quick Reply: Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe