Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radial Wire Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial Wire Wheels

I'm thinking that I might like to install a 80-100 spoke wheel on the front of my Deuce. I'm partial to the radial spoke design. Problem is, the only co. (American Wire) that I've located who produces a wheel like this is astronomical in price - $1,900. I don't think that I'll be paying that much for a wheel!

Anybody know of other vendors?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Radial Wire Wheels

HogPro sells a 40 spoke radial called the Big Fatty.
I have heard some stories about failures of radial spoke wheels. I would investigate it further if I were you.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

I really can't comment with real knowledge about radial spokes on a Harley, but I can about radial spoke wheels on bicycles. I used to race bikes and build wheels. Radial spoke wheels look cool and are slightly more aerodynamic and light....which on bicycles was a big deal before all the new carbon fiber wheels with wings instead of spokes. BUT the radials will not deal with lateral forces well, at all. That will certainly be an issue on the Harley....if you ever plan to turn. I guess if you only go straight, no problem.

Bones

Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
jbt
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BBDeluxe

I really can't comment with real knowledge about radial spokes on a Harley, but I can about radial spoke wheels on bicycles. I used to race bikes and build wheels. Radial spoke wheels look cool and are slightly more aerodynamic and light....which on bicycles was a big deal before all the new carbon fiber wheels with wings instead of spokes. BUT the radials will not deal with lateral forces well, at all. That will certainly be an issue on the Harley....if you ever plan to turn. I guess if you only go straight, no problem.

Bones
I would also add that a radial wheel will be very rigid in terms of bumps, and, as noted, not very strong side-to-side. My experience also comes from bicycles. As cool as it looks, I don't think I'd do it on a motorcycle, due to bad pavement, potholes, etc.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I'd never heard of a design weakness in radial-spoked wheels, but it makes sense once I think about it.

Yeah, I was after the look. Appearance-wise it would be hard to beat on most any cruiser. I saw Billy Lane hit a pot hole while doing about 80mph on a recent Biker Build-off. Not pretty, but both he and the custom bike made it through without apparant damage.

Thanks, guys. I'll do more research.