Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I buy a FXDL or FXSTB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ropin4gold
You should sit on and maybe rent/demo both and buy which ever one fits the best.
+1. If your really up in the air between the two I would rent them first. Perferabley close together and take some pictures of yourself on the bikes so if its really close you can check our the photos for best fit...legs & arms.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 AM
utexasrider
Tourer

i have 30 inch inseam also and there's plenty of room for the the nighttrain. that was a concern initially and the dealer said they can't put midcontrols on the nighttrain. also, i've never seen anybody with floor boards on a nighttrain.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s too bad you can’t install mid’s and I don’t want floorboards. I’ve read that FC’s will give you leg fatigue after about 150 miles. Without mid’s you can’t change you leg position. It sounds like the FXDL with highway pegs is a better choice. Anyone have a comment on that? I’m 5’9”, 170 and have short legs.

The suggestions of checking out each bike is a good idea, if I wasn’t in Iraq. Not a lot of haji’s ridings Softails! (At least in Vietnam they had Honda’s, even though they were 75cc and had the dad, two children and the wife on one bike.)

Thanks for the info. It’s a tough choice. I’ve talked to my dealer in Buffalo, NY and he said he can’t even match the price I’m getting on either bike.

By the way, I did like the comment “Who wants a Dyna anyway?”

Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGDyna

By the way, I did like the comment “Who wants a Dyna anyway?”
I don't know... why do you want a softail? We can start that argument too... they are by far the least-functional HD family made.

I think you ought to sit on a Dyna, Low-Riders are my favorite, but if you want blacked-out, find an 08 Street Bob. They ride soooo much better than the softails, they are lighter and make more power, as well as come with mid-controls (most do, or at least have the option).

It's all about what you are looking for.... if looks are #1, then go with the softy, but the Dynas are not bad looking and will give you much more bang (for you buck as well). i'm sure I'll get some "my nightrain/custom/whatever" out handles X,Y and Z. Save it please. Stock for stock, with equal riders, the Dynas will run cycles around softails, and the A Big-Twin is more highly modifiable if you're going that route.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM
utexasrider
Tourer

i had forward highway pegs and mid controls on my nightster. my first trip without highway pegs sucked because my legs felt cramped and i couldn't move it around as much unless i try to stand up while riding. the next trip felt better with highway pegs because of the stretched out and relax feel. i didn't really use the mids unless im braking and shifting. i promised myself that my next bike would have forward controls.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
expresstrain07
Intermediate

I have a 30 inch inseam, and the forward controls were alright, but I wanted a little more comfort. I did not want to go with floorboards. Floorboards on a NT would take away the cool look. I went with the Kuryakan Widow pegs with the heel rest. I looks great. I have had a lot of complements on them.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by utexasrider
i've never seen anybody with floor boards on a nighttrain.
Cross Bones boards will bolt right up.