Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The pros and cons of the XBones

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM
.T.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I demo'd the '09 XBones and fell in love with it. I will own it soon but not soon enough.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
FirstRealBike
Cruiser

CON:
Unless you enjoy talking about your bike ALL THE TIME... either don't buy one, or don't come to a complete stop in public...

: )

Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I have the '08 XBones. The XBones is my 3rd Harley, the first being a '99 FXSTC which I absolutely loved, but traded it in for a 100th Ultra which I still have. I bought the XBones for fun and it certainly has not let me down. I handles great, especially in curves. I live close to the famous Deals Gap in East TN (300+ curves in 11 miles) and other than the floorboards occasionally scraping, the bike handles great. Since there are not many out there yet, it is a real attention getter. I have mine equipped with saddlebags and passenger pillion/sissybar, and a QD windshield. I can strip it all down within minutes except for the saddlebags, but I am going to get QD for them also soon...Or leave it fully equipped for 250 mile day trips to the mountains. I am 5'10" and the seat fits me good. I am trying to decide which route to take on the pipes, chrome or black, and style. Frankly, I like the looks of the stock pipes with the bike, so I may go with the Rush pipes which look just like the stock but sound more like a Harley or the Rinehart slipons. While at the HD 105th, I was fortunate to talk to some of the design team for the XBones and get some of their insights. They were very interested in my opinions also as an owner. It is a real winner that I plan to keep a long time.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

I held out for an 09 and then bought an 08... Price mainly as other than oil capacity spec I could find no difference. I am pretty green too when it comes to bikes so I'll just tell you what I think of mine.

Pros: This bike just fit my personal taste in bikes. I love the Springer front end and as previously mentioned - all the different 'directions' you can take with the bike if your into customizing the look (WWII, Classic, BadBoy, Bobber ect..), it is also pretty comfortable to ride long distances in its stock configuration.

Cons: I am 6'2" and find the seat position very high and forward, I feel like I am floating above the bike not riding in it. I like to get into the corners and I find this bike scraps floorboards easy... but I didn't get this bike to drag my knee so I can let it slide. Some pipes are really not a 'good' fit as the lowered bike could find you dragging them in the corners as well. eg D&D FatCats from what I have read.

That said all the cons I mentioned are easily fixed with some modifications and researching the 'right' accessories, and for me that is part of the fun of getting the xbones, to tweak it a little and make it my own style.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

its awesome...but strangely almost every time i see one on the road or at a dealership or sturgis or wherever the rider changed the seat to some other manufacturer

Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 AM
2099d
Cruiser

I bought my 08 bones 3 months ago, Hell it's badass out the box. I owned a 12oo sporty so this is a step up for me. Sense this is your first bike, you'll enjoy the hell out of it. I'm still not sure what direction i'm gonna go with mine. But i'm not in any hurry, this is one i'll keep for a long time. good luck and stay safe!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 AM
BigBones
Advanced

It's a great ride. Like most said, it draws alot of attention. My bro has a Rocker C with some add-ons(VH BR's, Kuryakun cleaner) sharp lookn bike. But at 4 out of 5 watering holes my bike will get the most tire kickers. So if you dont like attention dont buy one or like the other guy said dont ever stop.
Cons: Ive really only have 1. Maybe im more sensitive then others about this. The solid mount motor causes my hands to get numb after an hour of riding. Ive got after market grips and wear padded gloves(helps). If that has never bothered you then you'll love the ride. I do have a disclaimer= I turned wrenches for too many years and maybe im worn out!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luv it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One con I forgot, the passenger setup is not as comfortable as my last bike and it was an 05 Sportster with a Sundowner seat and touring backrest, it kind of surprised me but my wife hates it. I just bought a quick detatch sissybar setup with the touring backrest so my wife will ride with me, I also have a gelpad for my seat on long rides that she uses when she rides with me. The roundbar sissybar with the small pad looks great but the small pad hits the passenger just above the belt so it's not as comfortable if you have a Princess like my wife and the small seat is also not as comfy.
Lucky my wife does not ride much. The sissy bar swap only takes 10 seconds I just have to live with it when she comes with me.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
SAS
Tourer

No issues from my end other then the rear seat really sux for the wife. Went out and bought the AN touring suction seat for her and had it gel filled. Fits really nice with the bike and pops right off when I ride solo.

Quick Reply: The pros and cons of the XBones