Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding Windshield that comes with Rider's Essential Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:12 PM
Lamo70
|
Road Captain
Default Question regarding Windshield that comes with Rider's Essential Kit

I just has the Rider's Essential Kit installed on my '08 Fatboy. The windshield that comes with it is taller than a standard winshield, which means that in traffic or on the hwy, I'm looking through the windshield rather that overtop. Is this dangerous at all or should I get it cut a couple of inches??

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:14 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

It's a matter of personal preference. If it bothers you, by all means, have it trimmed.

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:22 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Proper fitment, "by the book" is to be looking over, not through, the shield. This is especially important as I understand it when riding in the rain. That being said, as Crawdad says it really boils down to personal preference. Too high, and your vision can be impaired. Too low, and you (and your passenger) can be plagued by wind buffeting.

Roger

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:25 PM
Lamo70
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the responses. Tunaman, since you have the same bike as me, can you do me a favor and measure the height of your windshield from the top of your headlight to the top of the windshield , in inches please tkx.

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:36 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Which windshield?!? I've gone through a few... bought the Low Profile when I bought my bike, because I don't really like the appearance of a shield and thought it was the lesser of two evils, then found that the buffeting was really bad when riding at speed (especially when the wife rides along). I bought several off eBay, finding out that there are a large number of mounts, sizes and configurations for 'similar' windshields, until I finally got one from a 2005 Anniversary Fatboy that I was able to fit properly. It is just the right height for me... I'm 6'2" and have C&C seats that drop me in the saddle some, and I have to sit upright (no slouching!) to look over it.

Hang on... let me go take the measurement for you - BRB.

OK - mine is 25" from the headlight casing to the top of the shield.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Roger

Old 09-04-2008 | 01:11 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

The measurment by most people is the top of the windshield should be between your chin and tip of your nose, this allows you to look over it but pushes the wind over you.

Like anyting its personal opinion, but if you are looking through the windshield and it stars raining its going to be tough to get a clear view.

When I run with a windshield, I use a HD Low Profile (18 " from the headlamp cutout to the top) it is at my chin when I sit up, but I am also back and lower than stock because Im 6'3" and have a different seat, I dont experience any buffeting and can easily see over the top or tuck in behind it if needed. You have to also take into account how tall you are , how low you sit on the bike (seat height) how far back you are from the windshield, this all effects how the wind will hit you by coming up under the shield or buffeting over or around. This is why one windshield works well for a rider and the next hates it.

Old 09-04-2008 | 04:07 PM
BillyFB
Cruiser

I'd try it and see if you like it before you cut it.
I had mine on for a six day trip. I'm right at the threshold of lookin over or through. When I set up straight it's one way and well there's the other way. I didn't mind looking through it as much as I thought I would. That's why I say try it before you cut it.
If it's too short it won't divert the wind as much as maybe you want.
I don't usually have it on so I really don't look through it much at all.
That's my .02

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:37 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master

I look thru mine and love it!!!!

rider preference!!!!

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:49 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Lamo70
I just has the Rider's Essential Kit installed on my '08 Fatboy. The windshield that comes with it is taller than a standard winshield, which means that in traffic or on the hwy, I'm looking through the windshield rather that overtop. Is this dangerous at all or should I get it cut a couple of inches??

Only if you get stuck in a heavy rain. I did the other day and had to raise up onto the passenger seat so I could see over the top.

I'm going to get mine cut down asap.

Last edited by wlbowers; 09-04-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2008 | 10:08 PM
Lamo70
|
Road Captain

Just wanted to thank those who replied. I've decided to keep the windshield as a "see through" for now as I'm enjoying not having any wind in my face or eyes and the look of it doesn't bother me too much. Tkx all.

Quick Reply: Question regarding Windshield that comes with Rider's Essential Kit