Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank removal/assembly pros

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 07:28 PM
More Chrome!
6th Gear
Default Question about taking off the tank??

So Keno, when you were pulling the tank, can you tell me how the fuel line checkvalve connection comes off, not the crossover but the one in the back? Does it slide up, then pull the hose down and loose? Does gas leak at that point? I'm thinking about pulling the tank on my 2008 FXSTC to get to my headlight wiring, to replace the shell with a new billet Bullet style assembly. The AMP connector is just under the front of the tank. The indy parts dude said many people damage the fuel line assembly when trying to get it disconnected. The service manual reads like the sleeve slips up and apart it comes! Is it that simple? I was also told the stock crossover line has these strange connectors that need a special tool to put new ones on with. Are you guys saying a standard clamp works fine?? The braided lines have an easy looking compression fitting. That looks much simpler. How much of a hassle was lifting the tank?

Another ex-wrench-turner told me most at-home techs would just cut the headlight wiring harness beside the steering head, pull it out of the shell, replace the shell, then rethread and splice it. There's plenty of slack for a 1/2in splice. Nice black shrink tubing and no one would ever notice. Saves hours emptying fuel, pulling tank, replacing crossover, and so on.

Thoughts from any of the more experienced folks??

Thanks...

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:00 PM
99embrey
Tourer

the manual tells you to pull the fuel pump fuse and let the bike run until it quits. You can then disconnect the "petcock for lack of a better term". To do this, just push up on the chrome part, and the fuel line will pull out from the bottom.

I've had mine off a few times, and have never pulled the fuse to let the bike run out of fuel. I've also never spilled any fuel doing it this way.

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:15 PM
keno
|
Road Master

More Chrome, Yes it's pretty much that easy.. I ran the bike pretty much empty, pulled the fuse and cranked it a few seconds, disconnected battery ground, unbolted tank and lifted up on the sleeve and it comes apart really easy. don't forget to take the dash off and unplug the connector , and the connector under the tank on the left side. Much easier to do than to visualize. Make sure you don't scratch the chrome covers with the crossover tubes.